Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup configuration for a mahogany tele

hi guys,

in your opinion, which pickup configuration will prove more versatile with more useful tones and why.

guitar in question is a mahogany tele with vintage 3-saddle bridge, maple and rosewood neck.

till later,
    dani
    antiquity i tele bridge and neck
    25.00%
    antiquity i tele bridge with antiquity humbucker neck
    75.00%
    the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Re: pickup configuration for a mahogany tele

If you're set on a humbucker for the bridge you might want to consider a JB, it will be a brighter sound which you might need for the mahogany body. I use one in an alder Tele and it's very bright but so is a standard tele bridge pickup. It really depends on what sound you are looking for.
    Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

The Antiquity I Tele set is great, but a neck HB or mini-HB or Phat Cat is very cool, too. I didn't vote, because I couldn't choose just one -- I had to have 'em all.

Given the output of the Antiquity I Tele lead, I would lean toward the matching Tele rhythm (which will be hum-canceling when combined) or an Antiquity mini-HB (Firebird-style or LP Deluxe, depending on how you want to mount it). The Antiquity PAF HBs I've heard sound huge, so there could be quite a mismatch in volume between pickups with that combo. You also could go with an SM-1 or SM-3 Firebird-style neck mini-HB for a bit less money. I have an Antiquity I Tele lead paired with an SM-3n, and it's a great combination.

Comment

Originally posted by dani
        hi guys,

in your opinion, which pickup configuration will prove more versatile with more useful tones and why.
        Mahogany? I've got the mahogany MIM '69 thinline RI with Lindy Fralin Blues Specials for both bridge and neck, with a 4 way custom shop switch (to get the series linkage which kicks butt like a humbucker) and a custom wired TBX (0-5 is like a stock 250k tone control and 5-10 is like a variable no load tone control).

The Antiquity I's are a nice pickup, too, but I put them in a different tele. (Well, I thought the bridge was a little too bright so I added a small cap across the windings.)
        Steve Ahola

The Blue Guitar:
        http://www.blueguitar.org/

SoundClick Page:
        http://www.soundclick.com/steveahola

Comment

Originally posted by Kelsey
          I didn't vote, because I couldn't choose just one -- I had to have 'em all.
          that's the problem i am facing too hence this vote!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueGuitar
            Mahogany? I've got the mahogany MIM '69 thinline RI with Lindy Fralin Blues Specials for both bridge and neck, with a 4 way custom shop switch (to get the series linkage which kicks butt like a humbucker) and a custom wired TBX (0-5 is like a stock 250k tone control and 5-10 is like a variable no load tone control).

The Antiquity I's are a nice pickup, too, but I put them in a different tele. (Well, I thought the bridge was a little too bright so I added a small cap across the windings.)
            hey steve,

now you have my attention. how does your tele pickups sound in series? i wanted a bucker in the neck for a hotter lead tone. normal tele neck pups just didn't work for me.

just a minute, on a normal tele wiring with a 3-way, isn't the middle position connecting the 2 pickups in series?

dani

Comment

Originally posted by dani
              hey steve,

now you have my attention. how does your tele pickups sound in series? i wanted a bucker in the neck for a hotter lead tone. normal tele neck pups just didn't work for me.

just a minute, on a normal tele wiring with a 3-way, isn't the middle position connecting the 2 pickups in series?

dani
              On a normal tele the middle position has both pickups in parallel for a thinner sound. The series linkage is much thicker. I only recommend the 4 way switch if your tele pickups are humcancelling when used together- otherwise the added noise from the series linkage is a drag.

I think that there is a way to wire up a 3 way switch so that you get the series linkage in the middle but I haven't seen it anywhere.
              Steve Ahola

The Blue Guitar:
              http://www.blueguitar.org/

SoundClick Page:
              http://www.soundclick.com/steveahola

Comment

right. does tele pickups in series sound anything like a humbucker?

Comment

I think there should be Hot rails for tele as single humbucker which can give you power and quarterpound neck or hot neck would fit with it..

I have Jb Jr in bridge (the edges of the pup is cut to fit in tele) with 3way switch its some bright (maybe with mahagony can be better, mine is alder)

Comment

Working...
                  X