banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who uses a Distortion Trembucker? (PA-TB2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who uses a Distortion Trembucker? (PA-TB2)

The "who uses a screamin demon" thread got me to wondering the same thing about the Distortion Trembucker.
    (Not to be confused with a tremspaced Distortion.)

With a 21.3k DC resistance, and a ceramic magnet, this thing must kick booty.
    But that doesn't necessarily mean it sounds good.

Anyone use one? What kind of guitar? Music? Amp?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Artie

Re: Who uses a Distortion Trembucker? (PA-TB2)

I've always wondered who uses a distortion trembucker.
    Constantly wanting new gear...

Comment

I use one, and I have the Screamin Demon in the neck! The pickup does kick booty, but I havent compared it to a DD in this guitar. I like trying different combos so the PA-TB2 in a heavy maple/ash? Peavey T-60 is an unlikely combo, but it works for me. Much nicer than the crappy rail design Peavey came stock with.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1
        I use one, and I have the Screamin Demon in the neck! The pickup does kick booty, but I havent compared it to a DD in this guitar. I like trying different combos so the PA-TB2 in a heavy maple/ash? Peavey T-60 is an unlikely combo, but it works for me. Much nicer than the crappy rail design Peavey came stock with.
        "Velly interesting" . . . as Artie Johnson would say.

I was thinking of one for my Patriot. To replace the Custom that I just took out.

(btw - I love T-60's.)

Edit: Almost forgot . . . how would you describe the sound? Bright? Clear? Bassy? Rich? What?
        Last edited by ArtieToo; 03-11-2005, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Is the Patriot the guitar that reminds me of Gumby or is that the Mantis?

I am still trying to find out if those proprietary single-coil blade pickups in a Peavey T-15 can swap with normal humbuckers as I might want to hot rod one of them and pic up a T-15 for cheap.

Comment

Sonically it sort of reminded me of a DD but it seemed more hollowy which may be due more to the guitar. You can definately tell its a ceramic magnet and the highs arent ice picky at all which is what I was concerned about expecially in this guitar. The lows are nice and thick. Should sound nice in your Patriot.

Comment

Is the Patriot the guitar that reminds me of Gumby or is that the Mantis?
              This is a Patriot:

Its actually, a very nice "work horse" guitar. And those "blade" pups are not too bad.

The one in that pic has a DD in the neck. (now - not in the pic) They play together very nice.

Comment

Cool Artie, so those are the same size as a standard humbucker. Those pickups seemed to look a bit smaller than the ones on the T-60. As you mentioned in another thread the bridges on these old Peaveys need a tremspaced bridge pickup (ideally).

How did you get around the 2 height adjusting screws on the bass side with the DD neck?

The body on your Patriot looks similar to my Impact I and Firenza.
                Last edited by Fusion1; 03-11-2005, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Cool Artie, so those are the same size as a standard humbucker. Those pickups seemed to look a bit smaller than the ones on the T-60. As you mentioned in another thread the bridges on these old Peaveys need a tremspaced bridge pickup (ideally).
                  Actually, they're a tad bigger than a SD humbucker. They fill the hole completely, while an SD leaves some space around the pickgaurd. Also, they are a large single coil. Sorta like a "rails" Phat Cat. They sound great.

How did you get around the 2 height adjusting screws on the bass side with the DD neck?
                  You don't. You just drill another hole.

The body on your Patriot looks similar to my Impact I and Firenza.
                  It could be. Its also, exactly identical to my Patriot. I can just swap the Patriot/Predator pickguards. Made for interesting pup swapping.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                    ... Distortion Trembucker.
                    (Not to be confused with a tremspaced Distortion.)
                    Artie
                    i dont get it

Comment

Yeah, its one of those weird name things that SD does. There's the Duncan Distortion, thats available in trem-spacing. Then there's another pickup all together, thats called a Distortion Trembucker.

If you go to the SD specs chart you'll see them listed separately.
                      The Distortion Trembucker has those unusual dual-square-ish pole peices like a Blues Saraceno, or Parallel Axis pup.

Comment

it was my understanding that the weird pole pieces like that were called parrallel axis am i wrong?

Comment

The patb2 is very hot, be careful if using your gain up past 2 oclock, and more meaty than the tb6 and less high spikes. I have used this pickup for about 10 years. I now use a patb1 and a patb2 in my Ibanezes along with a BBQ in my LP.
                          My bands links:

PEDL
                          www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
                          www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
                          www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

Originally posted by itbepopples
                            it was my understanding that the weird pole pieces like that were called parrallel axis am i wrong?
                            Some of them are. I had this from another similar discussion:

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                              Some of them are. I had this from another similar discussion:

to be 100% honest....i think the parallel axis is ugly as hell and unless it has the best sound ever i wouldnt opt for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X