Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Choosing HB for Godin A6 Ultra

Hey,

I could really use some help. Have been scouring the internet, chat boards and so on but having difficulty finding the info I need as my guitar, Godin A6 Ultra, doesn’t get a lot of hits. Would really appreciate some help choosing a pickup

Issues with current sound
    - guitar/pickup bass heavy, too boomy
    - highs, especially on high E and B come out shrill, biting

What I want
    - tighter bass, less bass, less boomy
    - smoother highs... maybe less highs
    - flatter EQ
    - ability to go from clean to mild OD with pick attack
    - low output

Style
    - Rock/Pop
    - Modern Worship/Church music
    - picking, rhythm with some picking, driving rythym
    - clean to mildly overdriven

Gear
    - Godin A6 Ultra
    - Cedar top
    - chambered body
    - Neck Position HB with Ceramic magnet, 8.85k output with 2 band EQ
    - Under-saddle transducer with 3 band EQ
    - ability to blend the two pickups
    - Roland Blues Cube Hot 30
    - Boss TU-3
    - EH Soul Food

Thanks very much

Re: Help Choosing HB for Godin A6 Ultra

Welcome to the forum!

I am a Godin user as well (Montreal Premiere)- great guitars! As far as yours goes, I'd choose something with an A5 magnet, possibly a 59 or even a Sentient. Don't let the Sentient description put you off- it is actually a lot more than just a metal pickup.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hey Mincer... thanks very much for replying. Yeah, Godin makes some nice guitars. I had an SD for quite awhile with a beautiful sunburst quilted maple. Beautiful guitar...just didn’t quite suite my style of playing. Sold it but was hard to give up.

Thanks for the suggestions. I took a look and my only concern with either of them is that they might be too scooped. Granted I don’t have much to go on as I can’t really compare with what I have... I just know that in general I want less scooped middle than what I have. Less bass and at least smoother highs...but probably less of them as well.

One thing I don’t quite understand is that SD seems to display most of their EQ’s as scooped whereas Dimarzio seems to have have quite a few that show flat EQ’s. And yet when I read users/players comparing some of them, they will say the opposite... that such and such DM has more highs than the SD but the displayed EQ’s on each of the products show that’s not the case. Am I missing something? There shouldn’t be any way that they are showing two different ways of EQing. Granted that the output levels might be different overall, but the ratios of the BMT should still give an idea of what the EQ is like.

Thanks,
      Kevin

Comment

A PAF with an A3 or 4 will do that.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Smoother highs and less scooped= Alnico II Pro. It works really well for clean sounds.

Comment

Thanks for the help/suggestions... I will check those out.

Cheers

Comment

Hey Kevin (or anyone), any update on this? Did you try a different pickup?

Comment

I had been interested in the A6 and was wondering about the experiences owning it.

Comment

Have you try lowering the E and A (maybe D also) screws? That's what I did for the Burstbucker '61 in my Les Paul. E-A strings are less boomy and more balanced now.

Comment

Working...
                  X