banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 meg pot for a BBQ. Does it help the darkness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 meg pot for a BBQ. Does it help the darkness?

I just installed a BBQ and it sounds great but is a little dark. Torres engineering says to use a 1 meg pot. Has anyone tried this and if so how does it change the pickups character? brighter/shrill, etc. I dont want to loose the unoffending highs, just not as dark.
    My bands links:

PEDL
    www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
    www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
    www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Re: 1 meg pot for a BBQ. Does it help the darkness?

Interesting. Never tried it. For the price of a pot may be worth a shot to just see. Or maybe swap the cap on the tone control. I never found the BBQ too dark though I will agree it isnt the brightest pickup by a long shot. I'm not a fan of bright pickups anyways so I've always been happy with the treble in a BBQ.

As an after thought you could wire it straight to the jack to just see, it wouldnt cost much if your doing the work yourself.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Not sure - Rio recommends a 500k pot. I had the Rios in my LP with 500k pots and it has some serious edge and was way bright enough!

Comment

id say try it....but dont make a habit of listening to dan torres as ive known many people including me that have had many bad experiences with him and his products. i dont want to talk s hit but im only trying to save you from his nasty products.

Comment

I compared the bbq to a bunch of other pickups including the bareknucle war pig and it is definateley darker than the rest.
          My bands links:

PEDL

TREBLE BLEED

KLINK

Comment

Originally posted by KLINKDETROIT
            I compared the bbq to a bunch of other pickups including the bareknucle war pig and it is definateley darker than the rest.
            Is it as god quality as the BK pickups?

Comment

Try the 1meg pot on the tone rather than the volume. 1meg pots screw with the attack to much when used as a volume. Like a 500k pot with a single coil. Then just double the value of your capacitor on the tone to get the same frequency range.

Snowdog
              Last edited by idsnowdog; 03-14-2005, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
                Is it as god quality as the BK pickups?
                The BBQ had more low mids and girth but the war pig was very hot 21k and sounded great and not as distorted as Duncan pickups at the same 21k. The harmonics on the Bare knuckle were better and it was definateley brighter and a little louder than the BBQ. I like the BBq for its girth and will be happy with it if the 1 meg pot thing works to brighten it up without changings its good qualities.
                My bands links:

PEDL

TREBLE BLEED

KLINK

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog
                  Try the 1meg pot on the tone rather than the volume. 1meg pots screw with the attack to much when used as a volume. Like a 500k pot with a single coil. Then just double the value of your capacitor on the tone to get the same frequency range.

Snowdog
                  If the tone is all the way up with the 1 meg pot as the tone with a .047 cap. Would that be the ticket? What about the 1meg pot with a cap from hot to ground on the volume to roll off highs?
                  My bands links:

PEDL

TREBLE BLEED

KLINK

Comment

Working...
                  X