Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement pups for Squire Affinity Tele

Hi,
    I'm new here. Considering updating the pups in my Squire Affinity Tele, which are a bit thin sounding. I've been reading lots of other posts and checked out the Tone Wizard samples. So far I like the SD Vintage 54s (both neck and bridge), the Jerry Donahue and the Alnico Pro IIs. I play mostly blues, some classic rock (Hendrix, Stones) and a little country (Buck Owens, Derailers stuff). Any suggestions or recommendations? Will these pups fit my Tele okay? Thanks.

Re: Replacement pups for Squire Affinity Tele

Originally posted by Blueser
    Hi,
    I'm new here. Considering updating the pups in my Squire Affinity Tele, which are a bit thin sounding. I've been reading lots of other posts and checked out the Tone Wizard samples. So far I like the SD Vintage 54s (both neck and bridge), the Jerry Donahue and the Alnico Pro IIs. I play mostly blues, some classic rock (Hendrix, Stones) and a little country (Buck Owens, Derailers stuff). Any suggestions or recommendations? Will these pups fit my Tele okay? Thanks.
    Antiquity's.. they are pricey but really worth the money... see lew about purchasing (Lew, I think I am pluggin' you a bit too much the past couple of days)!
    Guitars: '12 LP Standard, Mid-90s 335, mid-90s LP Studio, mid-90s Am Standard Tele, '05 Larivee D-03 Acoustic
    Amps: Bogner Shiva 1x12 combo, Bogner Goldfinger 45, Bogner OS 2x12 Cabinet
    Pedals: Shur Riot, TS-9, Little Big Muff Pi, CE Audio Boost, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR Carbon Coby, EHX Small Clone, TC Electronics Vortex Flange, Fulltone Clyde Wah, vintage Ernie Ball volume pedal, Big Shot ABY, Boss OC-2 Octave
    Pedalboard: Furman pedalboard SPB-8C

Comment

i'll restate my satisfaction with the vintage stack for tele matched set ... won't set you back an arm and a leg ... dead quiet ... while you're in there, consider the 4-way mod too

cheers
      t4d
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Dump a Quarter Pound Tele into that puppy with a Vintage 54 in the neck. That'll wake it up!
        www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Blueser, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Originally posted by Hellion
          Dump a Quarter Pound Tele into that puppy with a Vintage 54 in the neck. That'll wake it up!
          That's what I'd do, the QP has some ooomph.

I like the A2Ps as well.
          “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Blueser
            ... my Squire Affinity Tele, which are a bit thin sounding.
            note, the guitar itself is also likely to be naturally 'thin' sounding as it is a fairly inexpensive model (as guitars go) .. they keep the cost down by using less toneful materials / parts / etc ...

new pickups will help quite a bit ... consider an upgrade to the switch, pots, and cap while you are at it ... but they cant help improve the contributions of the bridge, tuners, neck, body, etc ...

that said, there is a guy on the telemodders or tdpri forum that took an affinity butterscoth tele and put on new tuners, bridge, pups, electronics, etc (maybe a new neck too) and got it into PREMIUM tone quality .. so it's doable, as long as you are ready to put more into it than it cost new

good luck
            have fun
            t4d
            gear list in profile

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days
              note, the guitar itself is also likely to be naturally 'thin' sounding as it is a fairly inexpensive model (as guitars go) .. they keep the cost down by using less toneful materials / parts / etc ...

new pickups will help quite a bit ... consider an upgrade to the switch, pots, and cap while you are at it ... but they cant help improve the contributions of the bridge, tuners, neck, body, etc ...

that said, there is a guy on the telemodders or tdpri forum that took an affinity butterscoth tele and put on new tuners, bridge, pups, electronics, etc (maybe a new neck too) and got it into PREMIUM tone quality .. so it's doable, as long as you are ready to put more into it than it cost new

good luck
              have fun
              t4d

How about a link for the telemodders forum?
              Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by gripweed
                How about a link for the telemodders forum?
                TeleModders, The Fender� Telecaster Lovers Modification Site, a support group for those of us who love Telecasters and love to make them our own by modifying them.

TDPRI, short for Telecaster Discussion Page Reissue, is the leading online community and marketplace for Telecaster guitars.
                gear list in profile

Comment

Working...
                X