some general suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some general suggestions

hey, i'm looking to replace the stock pickups in my SG standard (99). so i'm basically looking for some suggestions.

1 route i was looking at was a 59 in the neck and a jb in the bridge. opinions?

another was antiquities...again any opinions? what differences can i expect between antiquities and the more "modern" pickups?

thanks.

Re: some general suggestions

Originally posted by aeroslepperin
    hey, i'm looking to replace the stock pickups in my SG standard (99). so i'm basically looking for some suggestions.

1 route i was looking at was a 59 in the neck and a jb in the bridge. opinions?

another was antiquities...again any opinions? what differences can i expect between antiquities and the more "modern" pickups?

thanks.
    Right now, I'm using a pair of Seths in my SG/LP reissue, and they sound great. The other option is a pair of '59's IMO.

SGSTRAT uses Antiquities in his '65 SG and they sound nice as well.
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

P.S. Welcome to the Forum!

Comment

the jb has a more modern tone, and by that i mean that it has more mids than a typical vintage pup and its voiced differently. it also has more output and will drive the amp harder.
        listen to the sound samples to hear the difference, between say the seth lover and the jb in the bridge.

Comment

thanks. kinda weird that i grew up in smithtown...heh...

Comment

thanks. kinda weird that i grew up in smithtown...heh...

No kidding? I actually grew up in Huntington, but bought a house in Smithtown a couple of years ago. Where are you now?

Jeff

Comment

Aeroslepperin, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

I'll try and give you a pups breakdown starting with the antiquities

Antiquity---A pup that is hand made by Seymour or MJ that has been artificially aged. The magnet has been degaussed and the cover has been distresses along with the screws so as to appear vintage. Everything is done to make these pups as close to an original that you would buy from a collector that was out of a guitar that was played everyday and gigged with. They have complex mids and are smooth. They are available in A2 or A5 magnet varieties. Vintage 2 Conductor Wire

The 59---The 59 is the quintessential A5 PAF (patent applied for) pup. Imagine getting in a time machine and going back to 1959 and swiping a brand new A5 pup from the Gibson factory in Kalamazoo and bringing it forward to today. They have found most homes in many neck slots. It has symetrical coils and lots of quack. It has thumping bass, a scooped mid, and cutting highs. Vintage 2 Conductor Wire

The Seth Lover---This pup is as true to the original as can be. This pup is unpotted and comes standard with a gold, or nickel pup cover. It has an A2 magnet and has good quack and fair mids. For this pup imagine going back in time to 1955 and grabbing one of the very first PAF's before they debuted in the LP's. This pup is warm and creamy, but can also get bright with the tone knob on 10. Vintage 2 Conductor Wire

The Alnico 2 Pro---The warmest of the Duncan PAF line. It has symetrical coils and is a modern take on the A2 PAFs. It has round bass and smooth treble, it also has lots of mids to make the guitar really sing. It will warm up the coldest or shrillest of guitars. The most well known Alnico 2 Pro user is Slash of Velvet Revolver and GNR. Standard 4 Conductor Wire

Pearly Gates---The PG is the hottest of the Duncan PAF line. It has asymetrical (mismatched) coils and an A2 magnet. The mismatched coils give this particular pup its rude personality. It has a frequency push in the Presence/Cut knob frequency band. This is the "Sizzle" PG owner talk about. It has the most mids of the Ducan PAF line and is also the hottest. Its patron is Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. Standard 4 conductor Wire

The Jazz---The jazz is the pup that bridges the gap between Vintage and Modern pups. Its output is at or around the vintage level. Don't let the name fool you this pup is very versatile and smooth. It has an A5 magnet and is very widely used in the neck slot. It is articulate regardless of the tuning as well. This pup negociates cleans or overdrive very well. Standard 4 Conductor Wire

The Custom Series---The Custom Series is all on pup configuration but with different magnets. The coils are symmetrical and the pups come with Standard 4 Conductor wire

Custom---The Custom is a PAF kicked up a few notches. This pup gets its aggressive edge from its Ceramic magnet. This pup has lots of grind with good treble and midrange. It also has ample bass for palm mute playing.

Custom Custom---The Custom Custom is a midrange heavy pup that lends itself to leads and warming bright guitars. This pup gets its huge midrange from the Alnico 2 magnet. I has smooth bass and treble. Essentially it is an overwound A2 PAF.

Custom 5---The Custom 5 is a pup with an EQ very identical to The 59. It has thumping bass, scooped mids, and cutting treble. Like the 59 it is a bright pup that will liven up dark guitar.
              “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

JB---The JB is in a class of its own. There is really no other pup like it. It has fair bass and lots of treble. This particular pup has a large upper mids spike that allow it to cut through the mix like no other. It can be heard on countless recording especially throughout the 80's. Lots of people like to pair it with a Jazz or 59 in the neck. In bright guitars it is usually soldered to a 250k pot just like the original Seymour made 30 years ago.

There are some other pups that I deliberately ommitted due to the fact you already had some things in mind and I took your train of thought and expanded on what I thought you would want to know, or be interested in. My recommendation for you SG is a set of Jazz's or a Jazz neck with a JB bridge. Some guys like the 59's but due to all the bass in the mahogany body I don't like the 59 (C5 too) in an SG.

Hope that helped man!

Luke
                Last edited by Luke Duke; 03-14-2005, 11:27 AM.
                “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Luke,

Nice job. That was a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrec
                    Luke,

Nice job. That was a great idea.
                    Thanks man!

It's funny when I started though he had got no replies!!

I just love to help folks new to the pup game.

Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrec
                      No kidding? I actually grew up in Huntington, but bought a house in Smithtown a couple of years ago. Where are you now?

Jeff

firstly, luke, thanks...i'm at work and will obviously read thru this when i get a second. pick-ups have annoyed me for years simply because, to me, it's really a buy n try type adjustment. i honestly have no idea what i'm looking for except versatility. again, thanks.

jeff, i'm in brooklyn in a house with my band currently. we've been playing around nyc for the past year and half or so and within the past few months have been playing a lot of out of state shows.

in smithtown i lived about 2 blocks away from hs east....or the middleschool...
                      ummmm, whatever it is these days.

if anyone's interested, we have some mp3s up at:

OTHER PASSENGERS's profile including the latest music, albums, songs, music videos and more updates.

back to pickups though, i guess i've always been one to like using vintage equipment for more modern results, which is why i'm interested in the antiquities. if i read the description right (again, i'm at work and am rushing thru), they're NOT potted...which typically had led to problems with other guitars i've used...is squealing and such an issue with those?

Comment

back to pickups though, i guess i've always been one to like using vintage equipment for more modern results, which is why i'm interested in the antiquities. if i read the description right (again, i'm at work and am rushing thru), they're NOT potted...which typically had led to problems with other guitars i've used...is squealing and such an issue with those?
                        Well the soundclips that SD has are very helpful. The Clean is done on a SilverFace Super and the Dirty on a JCM 800. If you regularly lean vintage then stick with it. The Antiquities are in existence to cop the sound of a 50 year old pup. They do it very well. Like I said I think the Jazz would sound great in your SG. Vintage, but not at the same time.....it's hard for me to describe.

I know in the neck slot of my Heritage it gets lots of wows. My bass player told me "that's what a neck pup should sound like"

Luke

Comment

firstly, luke, thanks...i'm at work and will obviously read thru this when i get a second. pick-ups have annoyed me for years simply because, to me, it's really a buy n try type adjustment. i honestly have no idea what i'm looking for except versatility. again, thanks.

jeff, i'm in brooklyn in a house with my band currently. we've been playing around nyc for the past year and half or so and within the past few months have been playing a lot of out of state shows.

in smithtown i lived about 2 blocks away from hs east....or the middleschool...
                          ummmm, whatever it is these days.

if anyone's interested, we have some mp3s up at:

OTHER PASSENGERS's profile including the latest music, albums, songs, music videos and more updates.

I've never really had a problem with squealing, with my Ants (in a LP Custom). They're just terrific sounding.

p.s. the next time we have a Long Island Forum member jam, we'ld be happy to have you join us.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                          X