any Joe Barden users here???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any Joe Barden users here???

if so, what comes the closest to a Barden w/o the insane price tag???
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Re: any Joe Barden users here???

I have read, in several places, that the DiMarzio Fast Tracks are designed to be like a poor man's Bardens....

I have wanted to try these for awile just to compare them but I like my STK-T3b Vintage Lead StackŪ too much to pull it out....
    -Butch

Comment

I've often wondered what the Bardens sounded like. Do they get a vintage single coil type sound?
      Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by gripweed
        I've often wondered what the Bardens sounded like. Do they get a vintage single coil type sound?
        Pretty much... They are high output and, IMHO don't have a vintage tone. Their tone is good but not vintage. Also, they don't hide anything. Every bit of your technique, good and bad, will come out.
        -Butch

Comment

they sound very clear and defined. They also have excellent attack and responsivness since they are ceramic. Can be a bit trebly and "metallic" sounding for some tastes. I find the neck pickup amazing.
          °
          my stuff

Comment

Originally posted by gripweed

they have what I call a modern/vintage tone...they have expanded highs and lows making them sound very BIG...I do like them but I do not like the price tag! I want a set to put in my next strat but I won't pay $500.00 for a set of used pickups!
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

TO...are you here??? I know you have a set!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                TO...are you here??? I know you have a set!
                Yes, full set!!

Sorry, I was away ... LOL

Check yer PM's mate.

First off, I've owned Fast Tracks ... they do NOT sound anything like the Bardens! They are murky in comparison, with a veiled top and a lower midrange hump in the neck position that makes them bloated and crapulent sounding.

Secondly, not even Hot Rails come close. I love the Hot Rails in my Wayne, but these pups are not even close to the Bardens!!!

Thirdly, an interesting bit of history:
                Barden never patented his design of the bladed single coil pup. Yes, he invented the design. Wanna know why? Because he said NO production pup could match the sound of his hand wound beauties, so he has nothing to worry about. Everyone has tried to woo Barden to get his name on their pups, but he refuses to compromise. I, for one, have yet to hear any bladed pup that can come close, and I'm a proud owner of two Hot Rails.

So, to answer your question, NO: Suck it up, and buy 'em. Just do what I do, and skip lunch for a month or two!

(PS: Notice, I did NOT say 'skip beer'; no reason to get crazy!)
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                  (PS: Notice, I did NOT say 'skip beer'; no reason to get crazy!)
                  let's not get too nuts here!!!

Comment

First off, I've owned Fast Tracks ... they do NOT sound anything like the Bardens! They are murky in comparison, with a veiled top and a lower midrange hump in the neck position that makes them bloated and crapulent sounding.
                    Well, that's gonna save me some time and money. With a review like that, I won't even think anymore about trying them out...
                    -Butch

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Snyder
                      Well, that's gonna save me some time and money. With a review like that, I won't even think anymore about trying them out...
                      Totally, Butch. If you're looking to do an 80's shred guitar thing, they would probably be just what you're looking for ... but I found them useless for anything else.

Comment

Totally, Butch. If you're looking to do an 80's shred guitar thing, they would probably be just what you're looking for ... but I found them useless for anything else.
                        Nope, 80's shred isn't my bag. I do love the 80's shred stuff though. It's just not what I play. Now, high output, high octane twangin' Tele tone is what I'm after. Yes, Bardens would be great, however, most, if not all of the eBay auctions I have seen hav been ending at $500-$600. I just can't stomach that kind of dough for pickups...

For me, it would almost be worth looking into a used Danny Gatton model Tele. I say used because Bill Lawrence is designing the pickups for the 2005 Danny Gatton Tele....
                        -Butch

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Snyder
                          I just can't stomach that kind of dough for pickups...
                          Hehe ... okay, then we won't even get near the subject of what I've dropped on pickups!!

Comment

Hehe ... okay, then we won't even get near the subject of what I've dropped on pickups!!
                            I know the feeling....
                            -Butch

Comment

Working...
                            X