banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas please: What to install into a 1976 Gibson LP Deluxe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas please: What to install into a 1976 Gibson LP Deluxe?

Hi all,

Minis are cool, but their output is quite low. My tele is more beefy. Maybe it is the pickups (stock ones from 1976).

Shall I think of conversion? Not my favorite option... still it is feasible.

Or p90's? Or p90 size HB's from the custom shop?

Thanks in advance.

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Re: Ideas please: What to install into a 1976 Gibson LP Deluxe?

I use a special wound A8 minihum in the bridge and a P90 in the neck.
    Last edited by hamerfan; 03-16-2019, 02:14 PM.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
      Hi all,

Minis are cool, but their output is quite low. My tele is more beefy. Maybe it is the pickups (stock ones from 1976).

Shall I think of conversion? Not my favorite option... still it is feasible.

Or p90's? Or p90 size HB's from the custom shop?

Thanks in advance.

B
      P90 size HBs from DiMarzio... i know they got SuperDist and Tone Zone and I think a few others

No need to pay custom shop prices
      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Personally, I would sell all of my wife's cats if I could get a 76 with minis:-)

On the other hand it is an easy platform to modify. Would agree with any of the p90 options if you like p 90s and can deal with the noise.

Also have overwound Firebirds a couple of times to get more beef but it keeps the articulation of the mini size window in a humbucking pickup.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
        What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Duncan Mike Ness P90 in the Bridge, Vintage in the neck.

(The Hot and Custom are also great choices for the bridge, I use a Hot and two Vintage in my Triple P90 Guitar)
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

What about a small boost circuit and keep the original pickups in?

Comment

In fact, I cannot decide. I love the tone of the minis and sorta am thinking that I am stupid to swap them out instead of turning up the vol on the amp a bit more and/or using some clean boost pedal.

On the other hand, the guitar sounds great and alive you know... Here are two clips with them minis (first the bridge, the second the neck and no pedals... Just a plexi clone with JCM800 channel):

Excuse the shabby playing, the second one has some intonation issues...

B
              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Leave it be. Turn up. Play harder. Use fatter strings. Raise the pickups. Etc. Those pickups aren't THAT quiet. They can get plenty filthy IME.

There have been enough Deluxes modded or butchered over the years. Get one of those if you don't like mini hums. Sell the stock one to someone who wants a stock one.

Not a fun guitar to do swaps in either. The whole stock pickup/spacer/mounting ring is a soldered together assembly, which you have to break open even to swap in a hotter mini bucker. Those guitars stock with original orientation and original solders are getting harder to find. They'll be 50 years old soon, and aren't going to get any less rare or desirable in future years. Even if you go to P90's, which fit the routs, you have to modify the guitar to mount them, by adding holes in the cavity.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I had a Deluxe of that era. Minis killed in my JCM 800, and were quite nice in my Twin also. Of course, that's me, YMMV, and all that, but I'd really think it through before dumping them.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
                    In fact, I cannot decide. I love the tone of the minis and sorta am thinking that I am stupid to swap them out instead of turning up the vol on the amp a bit more and/or using some clean boost pedal.

On the other hand, the guitar sounds great and alive you know... Here are two clips with them minis (first the bridge, the second the neck and no pedals... Just a plexi clone with JCM800 channel):

Excuse the shabby playing, the second one has some intonation issues...

B
                    Keep the neck, put a P90size Super Distortion into the bridge
                    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Id leave that alone it sounds great!
                      If anything maybe new pots and the such, but I don't even think Id do that.
                      Great playing also!
                      87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

I love minis and there are some great options out there. The Duncan Antiquities are really nice. If you want more output, I'd check the options from Rio Grande. The Baby BBQ is about 12k and they will make a Baby Buffalo (about 10k) if you want one that isn't as hot. I have Lollars in my Kauer Banshee (Firebird) and they aren't bad at all.

Something like an RC booster or TC Spark that gives you some EQ control, in addition to the clean boost is a cheap option and can confirm if you can live with the current pickups or need to make a swap.

Comment

I don't think there is a compelling enough reason to switch. They sound great. Maybe just get some sort of boost pedal when you need it.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hey Barlo, how about a mag swap. I like my A8 minihumbucker.

I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Clean boost.

Bill
                              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
                              X