Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase question: Mixing SD and Fender

Hi there,

I am using a Li'l Screaming Demon in my '73 Strat. The problem is that Fender and SD have opposite polarity, so for example in position 4 when the middle Fender pu is mixed with the SD bridge pu, they are out of phase.

I am also going to add a switch so I can mix the beck and bridge pickup and then I'll have the same problem again.

So my question is:

Should I reverse the hot and cold leads on the Fenders or the SD (which by the way has four conductors for single coil split in position 4)

Or is the any other sollutions?

TIA

Robbocopy

Re: Phase question: Mixing SD and Fender

BTW I don't want to change the original Fender pickups to SD (or anything else) to solve the problem, because I really like the way they sound in this guitar.

Comment

You can do either - reverse the wires on both Fender's, or on the one SD. I would probably reverse the Fenders, only because it makes it easier to keep track of which coil you're splitting when you do that.

For example, if you reverse the wires on the SD, and then want to split to the stud coil, you'ld have to remember to short the red/white combo to "hot", instead of ground.

By reversing the Fenders, the SD schematics for splitting stay consistent.

Comment

Thanks!

And you are sure that they will still sound the same?

The reason for asking is that I heard that with a Gibson style humbucker you have to flip the magnet if you want to phase reverse its polarity, for example if you want a Peter Green kind of sound with both humbuckers on, but out of phase with each other.

But I have no idea the same apply to these pickups (The Fenders doesn't even have "extra magnets", so there's nothing to flip)

Comment

Yes, I'm sure.

What you're refering to is completely different. A guitar pickup is an AC generator. The "phase" in this instance, is only relative to its use with another pup. You're simply matching the phase of one pup to another.

There's no affect on the sound at all.

Comment

Great!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X