banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turn Strat from HH to H +S (Noiseless) +S (Noiseless)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn Strat from HH to H +S (Noiseless) +S (Noiseless)

Hello all (excuse me for my not good english).

I have a Fender Blacktop HH like this one in the link, and in the photo below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bhh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	5851645

I like the guitar in general but I don't like much the neck humbucker, which is too "muddy" and dark, while the bridge humbucker is ok, also the combinations of split coils in positions 2 and 4 seems to me too weak and dark, so I made up my mind to make some changes.

What I am going to do is to buy a new HSS pickguard, keep the original bridge humbucker which sounds ok for me, and add two noiseless pickups (SD or DiMarzio) in middle and neck positions for a more brighter tone.

I tried to find wiring diagrams on line but couldn't figure out a proper solution.

I don't want to make complicated split coils combinations, push-pull knobs, etc, I would like to have the 5 way switch to do this:

Position 5: Neck
    Position 4: Neck+Middle
    Position 3: Middle
    Position 2: Middle+Bridge
    Position 1: Bridge

About the knobs, I have now 1 volume and 2 tones (one for the neck and one for the bridge pickup), I would like to keep this functionality.

I did some wiring in the past but I am not an expert, so I am asking you here if you see any problem in my project or if you have any suggestion or advice please let me know.

Also if you know where I can find a clear wiring diagram I'll appreciate that a lot.

Thanks
    Last edited by maup; 06-13-2019, 01:26 AM. Reason: changed switch positions and added photo

Re: Turn Strat from HH to H +S (Noiseless) +S (Noiseless)

Name:	Screenshot_20190528-125339.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	5814313

This *should* work for you. It shows regular single coils in the neck and middle, but you can wire up your stacks to function in the same manner.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by maup View Post

...I like the guitar in general but I don't like much the bridge pickup, which is too "muddy" and dark...

What I am going to do is to buy a new HSS pickguard, keep the original bridge humbucker which sounds ok for me...
      Keeping the bridge pickup doesn't make much sense to me, given you think it is too dark/muddy.. If you have ~$50 to spend on a used bridge humbucker there are plenty of good alternatives..

Comment

Originally posted by Downrazor11 View Post
        Keeping the bridge pickup doesn't make much sense to me, given you think it is too dark/muddy.. If you have ~$50 to spend on a used bridge humbucker there are plenty of good alternatives..
        Good point. Another option may be to try the neck humbucker in the bridge with a pair of noiseless singles.

Comment

Originally posted by Downrazor11 View Post
          Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
          Good point. Another option may be to try the neck humbucker in the bridge with a pair of noiseless singles.
          Hello and sorry but I mistakenly wrote "bridge" instead of "neck". What I wanted to write is that I don't like muck the neck pickup which is muddy and dark, while the bridge pickup is good. (I made correction also to my original post).

Comment

This *should* work for you. It shows regular single coils in the neck and middle, but you can wire up your stacks to function in the same manner.
            Thank you for the diagram. So I just could connect each of the stacked single coils in serial, as well as the bridge humbucker, and then connect as they were single coils to the 5 way switch.

Comment

Just a note, for Seymour Duncan, "regular" Stacks and Stack Plus have two different wiring schemes. In "regular" Stacks, the "hot" wire (the one being soldered to the switch) is black and in the Stack Plus models, the "hot" wire is white.

Comment

Thank you for the diagram. So I just could connect each of the stacked single coils in serial, as well as the bridge humbucker, and then connect as they were single coils to the 5 way switch.
                You are welcome!
                Exactly.
                Last edited by Benjy_26; 05-28-2019, 04:10 PM.

Comment

You are welcome!
                  Exactly.
                  Brilliant! Thank you very much.
                  After all it's an easy setup but couldn't figure out by myself or watching to diagrams...

Comment

Brilliant! Thank you very much.
                    After all it's an easy setup but couldn't figure out by myself or watching to diagrams...
                    I'm the same way. I can wire anything up, but when it comes to guitats, I'm dead in the water without a schematic or diagram.

Comment

By convention, switch position 1 is bridge pup, position 5 is neck pup.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
                        Just a note, for Seymour Duncan, "regular" Stacks and Stack Plus have two different wiring schemes. In "regular" Stacks, the "hot" wire (the one being soldered to the switch) is black and in the Stack Plus models, the "hot" wire is white.

Thank you for the info, I am wondering if when you buy new pickups they comes with specifications and installation instructions...

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          By convention, switch position 1 is bridge pup, position 5 is neck pup.
                          Thank you I didnt know that, I always called them the opposite maybe because the bridge position is "upper" It looks the first to me

I edited the original post.
                          Last edited by maup; 06-13-2019, 01:28 AM.

Comment

The switch's lever points in the opposite direction as the actual contacts. In other words, the contact lugs on the switch for the bridge pup are closest to the neck pup and are effective when the switch lever is pointed toward the bridge pup.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Hello to all... well I removed my strat pickguard (surprisingly I never done before...) and I found out that it has a 5 way Fender Super Switch it has a 24 poles and a really (for me) complicated wiring. Exactly this one.

After many researches and study I think I understood the wiring system and I tryed to elaborate my own wiring diagram, trying to save all the possible parts, so in the end I will remove the neck HB and add 2 Di Marzio Area 58 noiseless single coils, and rewire all in a different way.

Plus I added the "treble bleed mod" which is suggested by Di Marzio diagrams.

Here is my diagram, excuse me because I am not an expert but I think it is enough clear.

Do you think that it is a working diagram or do you see any mistake or problem?

I did some wiring in the past but actually this is the first time that I elaborate and modify a guitar.

Thank you very much.

Name:	schema002b.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	5814552

Comment

Working...
                              X