banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried a Custom 8, Alternative 8 Hybrid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried a Custom 8, Alternative 8 Hybrid?

Just curious if anyone has tried this. It seems like it would be a good candidate for making a hybrid.

Re: Has anyone tried a Custom 8, Alternative 8 Hybrid?

Hybrids are always good unless you do something silly like a Seth Lover Slug.

Comment

Just following up to see if anyone has given this a shot yet. I’ve got an Alt 8 in an HH Tele right now and am thinking about making a hybrid out of it, but I don’t want to spring for another Custom to mangle if it’s not a good match.

Comment

Remind me what that is? 1 Custom coil and what was the Alternative 8 normally? A Distortion? or JB? So this would be a Custom/JB hybrid with an A8?

Comment

The Alternative 8 is actually a production pickup (TB-15). It’s the only production humbucker Duncan makes that comes stock with an A8. It’s a cool pickup, but it’s a little high in output and with a bit more top end fizz/sizzle than I want, a least in this guitar. I thought the Custom coil might cool it down and even out the sizzle a bit, though the mismatched coils might end up letting more high end through.

Comment

TB-5 & TB-15 are similar in some ways, and different in others. Custom 8 has a bit less treble bite, but Alt-8's upper mids come across as a bit less dominant to some ears. A blend ought to wind up with a bit of both, but with an airier feel, rather than a focused present bite. Though sometimes hybrids surprise, and it could wind up favoring the hotter & brighter Alt-8 coil, in which case I'd probably try A6 or Unoriented A5 next, though the last isn't likely to wind up where you were aiming, it might be a very interesting pickup for Custom UOA5 fans...

I don't think I've heard anyone talk about doing one. I'm very curious, please let us know how it turns out if you try it!

Comment

Working...
            X