X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspect Seth Lover set

Hi all,
    it's my firts message here.
    I should buy a set of Seymour Duncan Seth Lover, but they're quite suspect. The seller told me they have been removed from a 1996 Heritage H-157.
    This guitar in fact comes with Seth Lover or '59 set (both neck+bridge), but the labels and writing in the backplate are quite different from a Seth Lover set.

[

These are original Seth Lover humbucker set, where you can easily read "Seymour Duncan" and "Seth Lover" signature. The labels also are different (not only Neck o Bridge)
    In the pickups I should buy, I read only "Seymour".

In fact they seems most probably an Antiquity humbucker set, where the only signature is "Seymour" and the labels say only Neck or Bridge, without any further code

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Last edited by loziodavid; 08-29-2019, 11:51 AM.

Re: Suspect Seth Lover set

looks like antiquitys with clean covers

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      looks like antiquitys with clean covers
      Exactly, because Antiquity humbuckers have faded covers. Definitely, the covers have been removed at some point (look at that burns around soldering points...).

Maybe they have been romeved from a custom version of Heritage H-157 with an Antiquity set instead of regulars Seth or '59 pickups...

Comment

Humbucker set arrived. I measured the DC resistance with my portable multimeter, here's the results:
        Neck: 7.9K
        Bridge: 8.7K

Seth Lover set : 7.4K/8.3K
        Antiquity set: 7.7K/8.6K

Both data taken from the Seymour Duncan website.

Thoughts?

Comment

probably antiquitys, im a big fan and have a few sets in different guitars

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            probably antiquitys, im a big fan and have a few sets in different guitars
            Me too I suspect these are Antiquitys. It's very strange they have been sold as Seth Lover: only 150 euros!
            How they compare to Seth Lovers? More round? More open? More aggressive?

Comment

These Ants are made May 2003.
              Ants are basically a reliced Seth Lover with a special treated A2 magnet sounding a bit lusher and chimier than the SLs.
              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

So it looks like these were sold on Reverb, if so, notify them they were sold under false advertising.
                1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                ESP LTD M-400
                Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                  These Ants are made May 2003.
                  Ants are basically a reliced Seth Lover with a special treated A2 magnet sounding a bit lusher and chimier than the SLs.
                  Thanks a lot for the Antiquity/Sefs explanation

How do you know they are made May 2003?

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
                    So it looks like these were sold on Reverb, if so, notify them they were sold under false advertising.
                    No, I haven't found them on Reverb.
                    I bought them here in Italy, on an italian used gear website, and no, I will notify nothing to anyone, because is not a fraud. The seller took off them from a 1996 Heritage H-157 black beauty (probabily used) and I received something of a greater value.

My opinion is that the 1st owner of the guitar customised it (asking the mod to Heritage, or installing them in a second moment) with an Antiquity set, but the 2nd owner didn't know PUs have been swapped. In fact, during a whatsapp conversation, he told me that he checked on the Heritage website what PUs are installed on the H-157 model, so probably he was not 100% certain of the PUs.
                    Moreover, I emailed Heritage, and here's the reply

Thanks for writing in. We did sometimes use other pickups for orders if the customer requested them. We've used many brands though we couldn't be sure if these would be stock with the guitar.
                    Please let us know if you have any other questions.
                    Thank you,
                    Mike

Comment

Ok, going by one of the links you posted, it looked like they were from Reverb. If the seller wasnt sure what they were, he should of done some homework to find out. Hes selling a product listed as one thing and they are of something else, regardless of the value. You thought your were paying for SLs and didnt get SLs you got a different product.
                      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                      Jackson Soloist 7 string
                      ESP LTD M-400
                      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by loziodavid View Post
                        Thanks a lot for the Antiquity/Sefs explanation

How do you know they are made May 2003?
                        Serial starts with 0305.....

2003 made pups could not be stock in 1996 guitar!?
                        Last edited by hamerfan; 08-29-2019, 12:55 PM.

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

the ants sound a little less sharp on the top end and a little more complex but less dense in the mids if that makes any sense

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                            Serial starts with 0305.....

2003 made pups could not be stock in 1996 guitar!?
                            The serial starts with 0505. The second digit is a 5, so May 2005.

If so, the PU's have been swapped after purchasing the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by loziodavid View Post
                              The serial starts with 0505. The second digit is a 5, so May 2005.

If so, the PU's have been swapped after purchasing the guitar.
                              Oh well, should wear my glasses more often.

Wait, your pics are small and a bit shakey, aren't they?

Comment

Working...
                              X