Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 x Spin-a-Splits for one humbucker

Hi

Is it possible to have 2 spin a split pots and 1 volume pot in a one humbucker 4 wire guitar.

Therefore, one pot blends out one coil and the other pot blends out the other coil?

Or using a dual stacked pot - middle is series then either side of the pan/blend is each coil?

Cheers

Re: 2 x Spin-a-Splits for one humbucker

The second option is a lot easier and more effective than the first. Your first option will be interactive between the pots and act as a volume control on the lower settings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Q.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	5816650
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Using dual pots would be bad. The total load of three pots would kill the character, and output, of the pup. The blend pot would be marginally better. It's still effectively, two pots. What would be better, is to just wire the blend pot as normal, but run the terminal that would be grounded, to a switch. Let the switch select ground or the black wire to determine which coil you're "spinning."

Comment

For me, spin-a-split is far more useful on a neck HB, as it's inherently a loud, warm, and sometimes muddy slot. It you wire it opposite (hot = red, ground = white), and put a push pull on the bridge for coil split wired normally, in the middle position you can get the bridge slug coil paired with the neck screw coil, which gives you a virtual humbucker, which is a better sound than a bridge HB in coil split. Not as piercing or thin.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

My post in your other thread suggests using a switch and only one pot.

If you want ultimate blend of each coil, then just treat each coil as a separate pup running to its own vol pot (as I also suggested in your other thread).
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all your help. I’m very indecisive so you’ve definitely ironed out a few problems and highlighted some potential options.

Brilliant stuff folks! ��

Comment

Yes I think your help with the toggle switch with the spin is looking favourable GuitarDoc. Thanks.

Comment

You're welcome. I hope you get it settled out.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Try using a trim pot instead. Saves you a full sized tone control. Adjustable to how you want it and most people just want to switch between humbucking and that one particular setting instead of finding it on a pot in mid play.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

The second option is a lot easier and more effective than the first. Your first option will be interactive between the pots and act as a volume control on the lower settings.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]100247[/ATTACH]
                    hello ... greetings this has been published for a long time. My English is very bad so it is difficult for me to understand some things. the image you posted is color coded seymour? to solve the question that is something that I need to answer to myself. the white and red wires are tapped and the ones that are connected are black in A and green in B? gracias!!!
                    thank you and all good for you

Comment

I think I may have misunderstood the question, when I made post #3. Or, I'm getting this thread confused with another that's similar.

For "spinning" a pot from one coil to another, with series in the middle, isn't really difficult. It will just have a couple oddities that you need to be aware of. The resistance of the pot will always be in parallel with the pup regardless of where it's dialed to. So you need to pick the pot value carefully. Experimentation would probably be best. And, you must use a linear pot. Not log.

I think I tried this once, a long time ago. I can't even remember if I liked it. I didn't keep it though.

Click image for larger version  Name:	spin-a-split_weird-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	16.5 KB ID:	6023279

Comment

IIRC, the problem is, doing it this way, you can't make the pot "no-load." Obviously, it can't be no-load on both ends. So, if you pick a value high enough to not interfere too severely with the character of the pup, you don't have much control of the taper until you get all the way to one end. If you pick a value that gives good linearity, you load down the whole pup.

You could also do this with a "blend pot" if you wanted to have the center detent.

Name:	spin-a-split_weird-2.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	6023283

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                          IIRC, the problem is, doing it this way, you can't make the pot "no-load." Obviously, it can't be no-load on both ends. So, if you pick a value high enough to not interfere too severely with the character of the pup, you don't have much control of the taper until you get all the way to one end. If you pick a value that gives good linearity, you load down the whole pup.

You could also do this with a "blend pot" if you wanted to have the center detent.

Name:	spin-a-split_weird-2.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	6023283
                          thank you very much!!! I have the "blend pot" supposedly 250k / 250k but in reality one pot have 260K and the other 214K , I wanted to take both to 125 k but with the few resistances that I have at home I got 108 k in both. thanks again.

Comment

Your welcome. Let us know how it works out.

P.S. Make sure you measure resistance between the center lug and where you connect the black wire. Same for the green. The drawing is how my own blend pot is configured, but they may not all be the same. If you connect to the "shorted" side, you'll get no sound.
                            Last edited by ArtieToo; 10-20-2020, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                              Your welcome. Let us know how it works out.

P.S. Make sure you measure resistance between the center lug and where you connect the black wire. Same for the green. The drawing is how my own blend pot is configured, but they may not all be the same. If you connect to the "shorted" side, you'll get no sound.
                              Hi !!! Thank you again. With several potentiometers and some resistors and the voltmeter I have started to experiment. I will be as specific as possible.
                              108 k blend "dent" pot, center connection in series. It is practically an on / off switch.

250k blend "dent" pot, center connection in series. minimally manageable you can still feel the on / off effect

500k and 1 meg. potentiometer blend center connection series: much more manageable and gradual the 1 mega. but if we start from position 1 split (a) gradually very gradually the load increases but in position 5 (center) the humbucker is not complete, this happens until position 7
                              and then from position 7 to 8 the resistance begins to drop geadually but in position 8.1 it suddenly makes the split (b) from that position to 10 without changes.

Today I will check again that I was tired and in those states one repeats mistakes successively.

Comment

Working...
                              X