Super 2 in Strat Bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super 2 in Strat Bridge?

I picked up a Super 2 from a parts bin at a yard sale for $2, because who wouldn't? The only thing I have to put it in at the moment is a Fat Strat. Now normally this is used as a neck pickup, but I figure it is still a pretty hot humbucker from what I can tell, and it can't be much brighter than a Strat single bridge coil, so it might pair better than the stock JB style pickup I have in there now.

Any thoughts?

Re: Super 2 in Strat Bridge?

I have it in the neck... it's quite hot and bright even in the neck, which is good obviously

It'd certainly not be brighter than a single coil bridge but I'd take note of the 8.7k DCR paired with a ceramic magnet. Not sure how hot it'd be in the bridge compared to a JB but that lower DCR and ceramic magnet might make it a bit harsh on the treble for a bridge pickup. With its high output, that harshness could get a bit shrill when you play leads on upper frets I suspect.

Do you like the JB in the bridge though? If you don't like that much and don't mind trying a brighter ceramic high output in that guitar, go for it. What do you play? I think if you play detuned heavier metal, it might work pretty well.

Comment

Did ya test it to make sure it works?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yes it works. The pickup I have in the bridge isn't a JB, but was designed to be similar to the JB. It's got a weird boxy sound to it that I don't like, that and I'd like to try something new since I have the parts on hand.

Or would it be worth it to wait until I get a new HH guitar and put it in the neck?

Comment

try it in the bridge, cant hurt. 250k pots? tone control on the bridge pup? might be great. some people like it with 500k pots but thats a little harsh on the high end for my tastes

Comment

You can always put it in the neck, but in parallel.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Will be thin and bright. I have had a couple the Super 3 would be nice but that Super 2 will be really harsh.
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I had one in a strat but it had a mahogany body and ebony fretboard. In that guitar it wasn't overly bright. However, if it's basswood or ash with a maple neck it might be too bright.

Comment

Working...
                X