banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Telecaster neck - humbucker that sounds like lipstick when split?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telecaster neck - humbucker that sounds like lipstick when split?

Is there a humbucker that would sound similar to a lipstick pickup when split? I'm about to start a tele build with a humbucker neck, but it would be cool to retain the option for a classic sound there as well.

Re: Telecaster neck - humbucker that sounds like lipstick when split?

Well, the lipstick is pretty low output, and sounds bright and thin, so almost any neck humbucker with vintage output can work. Something like the Jazz, Pearly Gates, or 59 are good choices.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Are you looking for the sound of an actual Danelectro style lipstick pickup, or the typical Tele neck pickup which has a similar cover, but is not a lipstick?

Comment

With a on/on/on mini-toggle you can do s/h/s for the neck. You could also use a superswitchand get various combinations of coils in series/parallel. You could also just use a push/pull volume to split the neck. https://www.guitarfetish.com/KP--GFS...y_p_21837.html
        Last edited by idsnowdog; 08-12-2019, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by piblock View Post
          Are you looking for the sound of an actual Danelectro style lipstick pickup, or the typical Tele neck pickup which has a similar cover, but is not a lipstick?
          Yes sorry, standard tele neck pickup is what I'm after.

Comment

Originally posted by SunIsLoco View Post
            Yes sorry, standard tele neck pickup is what I'm after.
            Oh, that's not a lipsick pickup...it is actually pretty dark compared to an actual lipstick pickup. I'd then recommend something like an Alnico II Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Oh, that's not a lipsick pickup...it is actually pretty dark compared to an actual lipstick pickup. I'd then recommend something like an Alnico II Pro.
              Ive heard great things about A2Pros, good mids and warm enough to complement a tele very well. Would they sound passably decent split?

I guess its not too important really, but it would be cool to have something in that arena on call as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SunIsLoco View Post
                Ive heard great things about A2Pros, good mids and warm enough to complement a tele very well. Would they sound passably decent split?

I guess its not too important really, but it would be cool to have something in that arena on call as well.
                I use mine split a lot, but not in a Tele, more like a Strat. I dig it.

Comment

Working...
                X