Be gentle with me - Tele pickup advice appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Be gentle with me - Tele pickup advice appreciated

Sorry chaps I got the wrong Chili Peppers song. It's Universally Speaking https://youtu.be/CoOibAstPJ4 but I've discovered this was played on a Gibson. I'd still be interested to know whether I could get the same base sound off a Tele though....

Comment

If you want a Frusciante tone in general, I'd still say a Strat neck pickup is vital (whatever he used on any particular song.) Curious where you heard Universally Speaking was a Gibson - I know he used a three-pickup SG at some points during that period.

Without looking it up I feel like Zephyr song must be some sort of Fender (Jaguar on the video and he is a known user - but often the guitars he used in videos don't even seem to be his so no guarantee that was recorded, though my Jaguar can ape the tone pretty well.)
      Originally posted by King Buzzo
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Paul View Post
        Sorry chaps I got the wrong Chili Peppers song. It's Universally Speaking https://youtu.be/CoOibAstPJ4 but I've discovered this was played on a Gibson. I'd still be interested to know whether I could get the same base sound off a Tele though....
        Just remember that what you are hearing has been heavily processed in the studio by the time it gets to your ears and the guitar used is almost irrelevant in a lot of cases.

Comment

What do you not like about the current pickups?

Comment

I just put a hot rails bridge in my Tele, its awesome!
            Its funny that we have our own words that we associate with sounds! When I saw the word 'chugging' I thought of the hot stack for tele bridge. I've only tried the strat hotstack and its thick and powerful. As for the neck, it depends how creative you want to get with using different type pickups - and also whats under the scratch plate. Not all telecasters have routing for anything but a telecaster pickup. Something sigle coil and vintagy would sound good - so many options with that one!

Comment

Hot Tele lead Stack does it for my. Handles gain very well, and keeps the Tele character, something I don't think the Hot Rails will does, since it sounds very much like a humbucker.
              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Techy Beccy View Post
                I just put a hot rails bridge in my Tele, its awesome!
                Its funny that we have our own words that we associate with sounds! When I saw the word 'chugging' I thought of the hot stack for tele bridge. I've only tried the strat hotstack and its thick and powerful. As for the neck, it depends how creative you want to get with using different type pickups - and also whats under the scratch plate. Not all telecasters have routing for anything but a telecaster pickup. Something sigle coil and vintagy would sound good - so many options with that one!
                I tried a Entwistle ASN 57 (A5) neck Stack and it's the Only Stack i've ever liked ~ it will stay. I am getting some insane sounds when paralled with the A4 in bridge ( full size rotated 180* ) that midd. position ( with Crazy Bite ) will be a whole new animal for my Tube gear next week when I run it . It makes all 3 positions useful for more than I hoped for . MY Effects and Gear will make it totally unique for some standard tuned orig.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  This. I was never a parallel fan, for any pickup, except the P-Rails, but that is a strange case.
                  That sounds like not enough magnet combo experimentations to me

Comment

Originally posted by KNUCKLHEAD View Post
                    That sounds like not enough magnet combo experimentations to me
                    Possibly, but if I have a series tone I love, I am not going to mess that up chasing something else. I'd rather just get on to playing.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I would go with a dimarzio chopper t and a twang king neck.

Wire the chopper series/parallel/split.

Richie kotzen approves btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post

Richie kotzen approves btw.
                        who cares ? sounds like a typical g.i.t - johnny come lately
                        Last edited by KNUCKLHEAD; 08-27-2019, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Possibly, but if I have a series tone I love, I am not going to mess that up chasing something else. I'd rather just get on to playing.
                          Indeed ---^^^

I Relate ~ I dont Chase much either ( always open minded on Tone tho - its never ending on a tiny bit more potential . I'm not sure You use that much Tube power though - more heavily Processed stuff ? I run limited effects and alot of power live and for decent amount of recording to bring in Power + Preamp tubes . Get really nice Shapes with the analog + a few effects . btw - I'd ALWAYS rather just get on to Playing - as well : )

Comment

Working...
                          X