Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two humbucker wiring issue?

Hey everybody! New here so here goes...

I am looking for what I thought was a pretty simple Strat wiring diagram for the following:
    2 Humbuckers - 1 Volume - 2 Tones

1 = Bridge (Series)
    2 = Bridge Split
    3 = Both Humbuckers (Both Series)
    4 = Neck Split
    5 = Neck (Series)

I tried different diagrams online including ones that use the super switch and can't get the desired set up working. The one (linked below) from Seymour Duncan uses a standard 5 way and that doesn't work! I contacted them directly with no response. I'm using Duncan pickups so I thought this would be straight ahead.

To spilt coils it seems the red and white need to go to ground?

If anybody can point me in the right direction for some resources or a correct diagram I'd be appreciated. I'm cool with the super switch or the standard 5 way as I have both parts.

Here's the Duncan wiring I tried
    http://www.joepopp.net/miscimages/humbuckerwiring2.png

Re: Two humbucker wiring issue?

Originally posted by popprockshop View Post

I am looking for what I thought was a pretty simple Strat wiring diagram for the following:

1 = Bridge (Series)
    2 = Bridge Split
    4 = Neck Split
    5 = Neck (Series)

I tried different diagrams online including ones that use the super switch and can't get the desired set up working. The one (linked below) from Seymour Duncan uses a standard 5 way and that doesn't work! I contacted them directly with no response. I'm using Duncan pickups so I thought this would be straight ahead.

If anybody can point me in the right direction for some resources or a correct diagram I'd be appreciated. I'm cool with the super switch or the standard 5 way as I have both parts.

Guitar wiring diagram with 2 humbuckers, 5-way 4-pole lever switch, one volume and two tone controls. Custom 5-way switching: 1. Bridge Series Humbucker 2. Bridge Single Coil (South) 3. Bridge Humbucker + Neck Humbucker 4. Neck Single Coil (South) 5. Neck Series Humbucker Click diagram image to open/view full size version.   Ready to get started? Don't forget the Wire, Solder, Shielding & Supplies. Copyright© GuitarElectronics.com LLC. Unauthorized replication is prohibited.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by popprockshop View Post

1 = Bridge (Series)
      2 = Bridge Split
      4 = Neck Split
      5 = Neck (Series)

And if you want Positions 2 and 4 to be split to inner coils instead, use this:

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Both of those seem to be parallel for the position 3.
        The flipping of mags is usually only required if you're trying for the virtual humbucker in the split positions...as in combining a screw coil and a slug.
        OP seems to want only 1 coil active in the splits, so I can't see any need for over complication

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
          Both of those seem to be parallel for the position 3.
          The flipping of mags is usually only required if you're trying for the virtual humbucker in the split positions...as in combining a screw coil and a slug.
          OP seems to want only 1 coil active in the splits, so I can't see any need for over complication
          AlexR: oops - good catch about Reverse Polarity/ Magnet Flip being necessary only if OP wanted *two* coils active in Positions 2 and 4. I will delete that last post to try and mitigate confusion.

However, regarding Position 3, we would need clarification from the OP about whether his "both series" description meant each individiual humbucker in series compared to Position 2 and 4 (which is how i interpretted it), or to connect each full humbucker in series with each other as you suggest. Since the OP said he was looking for a Strat-like diagram and Strat combinations are typically parallel vs series, i still think the two diagrams i linked to earlier that have the two full humbuckers connected in parallel with each other in Position 3 is what the OP meant. But hopefully OP will clarify.
          Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 08-21-2019, 06:47 AM.

Comment

If its just a parallel combination in posi 3, then indeed those diagrams will work, and it becomes a much easier diagram.
            With the posi 3 being connected in series, well that might be where his comment about diagrams involving superswitches come into it. Certainly no regular 5-way will do that sort of combo.

I also wonder what the final guitar would be like with said series middle position 3. Certainly a vast change in output between every one of the positions thats for sure.

Comment

Working...
            X