banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P-Rail: recessed rail on bridge pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-Rail: recessed rail on bridge pickups?

I'm trying to diagnose some issues with my new P-Rails (see my other thread) and found something weird: the rail on my bridge pickup is recessed on the treble side. That pickup is also a lot quieter than the neck. Could that be the problem? Pics attached.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190821_171504.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	5852650Click image for larger version

Name:	20190821_171526.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	5852651

Re: P-Rail: recessed rail on bridge pickups?

oooh - that doesn't look right!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The stock bobbin toppers on those are attached in a kind of screwy way, such that I can see misalignment being very possible.

They just kind of sit on top of the bobbins...the tops of which aren't level with each other (the rail coil is not as tall IIRC, but I could have that backwards). Mine sat at an angle (perhaps purposeful, to match Gibson neck angles). I think they are glued in place, IIRC (but it has been a while). I snapped mine off easily (on purpose), shimmed them with wood to level them, and installed open trim rings.

The good thing is that the the plastic cover is solely cosmetic. It isn't part of the bobbins. So if it is on there a bit wacky, it doesn't affect the way the pickup operates – just the way it looks.

I suggest that all with P Rails do what I did: Remove, and then shim/level, the bobbin topper, and install open trim rings. It makes them look like a million bucks, while they look retarded stock.

Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-21-2019, 04:47 PM.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        oooh - that doesn't look right!
        Yup. If you bought new this may be one to send back.

Comment

Originally posted by RandolphCarter15 View Post
          I'm trying to diagnose some issues with my new P-Rails (see my other thread) and found something weird: the rail on my bridge pickup is recessed on the treble side. That pickup is also a lot quieter than the neck. Could that be the problem? Pics attached.[ATTACH=CONFIG]100572[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]100573[/ATTACH]
          The few I have did not look like that at all. The rail is above the bobbing for the whole length of the slot.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
          X