This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan 59 Bridge rough cast magnet or polished magnet

Is there I noticeable difference from a rough cast alnico 5 magnet vs a polished alnico 5 magnet in the Duncan 59.

Re: Seymour Duncan 59 Bridge rough cast magnet or polished magnet

Yes. Going to rc drops the treble a little and you can also hear the texture of the magnet.

Comment

polished magnet is the way to go I don’t want to drop any treble or brightness

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood Rock View Post
        Yes. Going to rc drops the treble a little and you can also hear the texture of the magnet.
        Really?

Man, you either you've got a vivid imagination or judge tone under the influence... maybe both at the same time?

Nice try, though. I was quite amused at the reading of the description.

/Peter
        Last edited by Discharged; 08-26-2019, 08:32 AM.
        Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
        Kolding, Denmark

Comment

According to PU winder and forum member Zhang, roughcast magnets have a slightly smoother high end, which is why he prefers them for bridge pickups.

In a '59B, which is pretty bright and midscooped, a RC A5 isn't enough. For me, an UOA5 gives it a much better balanced sound EQ-wise, and more character.
          Last edited by blueman335; 08-26-2019, 10:51 AM.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

What Blue said....
            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by Discharged View Post
              Really?
              Yes. Rc affects the sound beyond just a simple eq change. I'm not sure why this caused you to become agitated.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                According to PU winder and forum member Zhang, roughcast magnets have a slightly smoother high end, which is why he prefers them for bridge pickups.
                Rick, the truth about this urban myth is dispelled in the following book, written by my personal friend, Mario Milan.

In the book the part about magnets was written by his coauthor, pickup winder extraordinaire James Finnerty, maker of Re-Wind p'ups.

The book's title is: "The Gibson "P.A.F." Humbucking Pickup: From Myth to Reality" and it's on sale on Amazon:

A MUST read for all pup's aficionados out there.

Mario is also author the following book about pickups: "Pickups, Windings and Magnets: And the Guitar Became Electric" published by Centerstream Publishing in 2007

/Peter
                Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Yes. Rc affects the sound beyond just a simple eq change.
                  No, texture has absolutely no effect on tone. It's just another of thousand of old wives tales some guitar players like to believe. The whole story is told here:

Read that book and have your whole world of beliefs come crashing down on you, if you dare! The chapter about magnets was written by the book's co-author, James Finnerty, aka Re-Wind pickups maker: www.re-wind.net
                  I'm not sure why this caused you to become agitated.
                  Amused doesn't mean "agitated". Look it up. In a dictionary, I mean; just in case it was too subtle for you.

/Peter
                  Kolding, Denmark

Comment

OK, my interest is piqued. So Peter, will you please describe favorable magnet changes for the Seymour Duncan 59b and provide a detailed description of those tonal changes? Surely any magnet other than the stock polished A5 would make some difference. I'd like to hear your experiences, whether scientific or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Tone Meister View Post
                      OK, my interest is piqued. So Peter, will you please describe favorable magnet changes for the Seymour Duncan 59b and provide a detailed description of those tonal changes? Surely any magnet other than the stock polished A5 would make some difference. I'd like to hear your experiences, whether scientific or not.
                      Any alnico grade will sound "better" than the stock A5, if you ask me.

Any alnico grade its distinctive inherent tone-footprint and behavior differences, and they're all valid if used in the right context, with the right instrument and p'up model, and yes, even A5, even though this is my least favorite personal choice. You first have to ask yourself "what I want to get out of" a certain p'up, a certain istrument, certain music style, make up your mind, then you can start considering the effect of the different mags in the different p'up models.

What you're asking me to do for you is simply too much. Narrow your choices, then we'll talk.

If you wanna learn about p'up design in general, then go back and read my past posts, and also look after past posts from a former forumite that went with the "LtKojak" handle. He used to give excellent advice on p'ups, magnets, setup and other useful topics, including corrosive humor and controversial ways of communicating at times; he was sometimes bombastic and wasn't really afraid to get across as a dick in the pursuit of getting a point across, before being banned for offending one of the mods.

Look also for "orpheo" and "freefrog". Both are pretty knowledgeable subjects about everything p'up and contributors of the forum as well.

Before 2015, the official voices from the SD Co. were Frank Falbo and Evan Skopp. Both used to tell things as they really were. Of course, as everybody that was really worth something 'round here, left. Wonder why?

/Peter
                      Last edited by Discharged; 08-29-2019, 07:31 AM.
                      Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Originally posted by Discharged View Post
                        If you wanna learn about p'up design in general, then go back and read my past posts, and also look after past posts from a former forumite that went with the "LtKojak" handle. He used to give excellent advice on p'ups, magnets, setup and other useful topics, including corrosive humor and controversial ways of communicating at times; he was sometimes bombastic and wasn't really afraid to get across as a dick in the pursuit of getting a point across, before being banned for offending one of the mods.
                        This made my day.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I wasn't asking you do anything for me. It's just that I noticed you had dismissed what one poster heard with a magnet change, yet you hadn't offered any "valid" experiences of your own. To point out a problem without offering corrective information is counterintuitive, wouldn't you agree?

You were quick to point out what Hollywood Rock couldn't hear, but no accurate counter information was offered.

That's what I was asking.

Comment

I don't know Pete, you seem kind of belligerent. What's amusing to me is how arrogant you're acting when you don't know what you're talking about. Anyone on the forum could observe the differences in tone between rough cast and polished.

Comment

Pete/Kojak has always been this way, which is a shame. This thread is getting locked for now, as it shouldn't turn into a thread about people or this forum. So I will say, Pete/Kojak, or whomever you are, stop antagonizing people here.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X