Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup rewind and phase

Hi Folks,

I've just been experimenting with winding my own pickups using an old sewing machine as he winder and I was just wondering just how important is it to wind the coil in either a clockwise or anti clockwise direction given that you can simply reverse the pickup phase by reversing the wires. For example if you have a single pickup that has gone open circuit and as originally wound in a clockwise direction and you rewind it in an anticlockwise direction, but swop the wires, will you notice any difference?
    Any comments would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Geoff.

Re: Pickup rewind and phase

The winding direction isn’t important, but for single coils the reason they wind the middle pickup in reverse is that you want to keep the start of the coil connected to ground. This is because the start of the coil touches the magnets, which are not grounded. So if you touch a magnet with your finger it would make a loud humming noise. So keeping the start at ground eliminates that.

For humbuckers both coils are wound in the same direction, but wired out of phase. The reverse magnet polarity puts them back in phase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
    X