Middle Single coil for Mark Halcomb set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle Single coil for Mark Halcomb set

If I wanted to put a set of Alpha / Omegas in an HSH guitar, what's the perfect middle pickup to go with that ? Keeping with the theme of clarity and growl these pickups seem to be known for. Would a cool rails be a good choice? What kind of sound would I get in the in between positions on a 5 way switch with alpha Omegas and a cool rails ? Any other suggestions ?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Re: Middle Single coil for Mark Halcomb set

Cool Rails is actually a humbucker, is this what you want?

This also depends on the wiring of your guitar. Are positions 2 and 4 wired to be split coil from the neck and bridge humbuckers + middle single coil? Or is it just humbucker + middle single coil? Figuring out what wiring you have under the hood is more important right now otherwise you'd end up with sounds you're not expecting.

Comment

Yeah, the Cool Rails doesn't really sound at all like a single coil. It sounds closest to a Jazz humbucker. Any single coil, vintage-output Strat pickup will do the clean & clear thing, but at the expense of output. The Classic Stack might be a good choice, though.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

clarity and Growl? Screamin Demon Pops to my mind. also available as lil' Version as neck/middle and Bridge.
        But i don't know the other two PUs so i can't say if they match Output and tone wise

Comment

I don’t think you need a single coil in the middle that growls. You get plenty of that from the Omega. The Alpha is pretty bright and clear for a neck humbucker. You should go for something that pulls back the attitude of this pickup set. I think something along the lines of a dimarzio true velvet or Seymour Duncan ssl1 would be nice when used in conjunction with these pickups. Not many players use that middle position alone.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

To make my objective more clear. I am planning to pare down my guitar collection to basically 2 guitars. A 6 string HSH and a 7( or 8 string) HH that I can be happy with instead of the 15 guitars I own now. It won't be easy but I'm getting older, I have kids and I just don't have room for them all anymore.

With the HSH, I want something that's a bit of a Swiss Army knife that can get lots of tones. I thought the Alpha/Omega would be a nice choice because it seems like the most "unique" sounding pickups I've seen in a long time. I am not a fan of periphery but mark is an incredible player and I really love the tone he is getting in the product videos on the site. Especially the clean tones; they're dark and delicious and unlike anything I've ever heard.

I just want something different than the same old tones I've been playing with my whole life. I want something unique and different sounding but still good. I just need the perfect middle pickup to accentuate these. I did want my middle positions to sound Stratty, but again, this is not a necessity because I am going for uniqueness now. Maybe something a lil' different would be cool. Long as it sounds really different than the humbuckers on their own, I want a variety of tones. I was only thinking cool rails because I'd heard they sound good in the split position.

But I do plan to use the middle position a lot , on its own. I was a Strat player for many years and I do dig the pure single coil sound. I'm a bit worried an SSL1 is too weak to truly match with the Alpha/Omega, and again.. also a bit worried it won't be "unique" enough - I've been playing SSL1's for 15 years already, although I do love the hell out of them. Again I'm not dead set on having a Fender sound, I'm into anything as long as it sounds nice clean, and it's different than the humbuckers on their own so i can get good variety. So based on this description does that help anyone give some more suggestions ?

P.s. to answer one of you who had asked, it's Ibanez auto split, so 2 and 4 are splitting to the inner coils of the humbuckers. That's my preferred split method

Cheers
            -michael

Last edited by BeKindRewind; 09-18-2019, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
              Thanks for the replies.

To make my objective more clear. I am planning to pare down my guitar collection to basically 2 guitars. A 6 string HSH and a 7( or 8 string) HH that I can be happy with instead of the 15 guitars I own now. It won't be easy but I'm getting older, I have kids and I just don't have room for them all anymore.

With the HSH, I want something that's a bit of a Swiss Army knife that can get lots of tones. I thought the Alpha/Omega would be a nice choice because it seems like the most "unique" sounding pickups I've seen in a long time. I am not a fan of periphery but mark is an incredible player and I really love the tone he is getting in the product videos on the site. Especially the clean tones; they're dark and delicious and unlike anything I've ever heard.

I just want something different than the same old tones I've been playing with my whole life. I want something unique and different sounding but still good. I just need the perfect middle pickup to accentuate these. I did want my middle positions to sound Stratty, but again, this is not a necessity because I am going for uniqueness now. Maybe something a lil' different would be cool. Long as it sounds really different than the humbuckers on their own, I want a variety of tones. I was only thinking cool rails because I'd heard they sound good in the split position.

But I do plan to use the middle position a lot , on its own. I was a Strat player for many years and I do dig the pure single coil sound. I'm a bit worried an SSL1 is too weak to truly match with the Alpha/Omega, and again.. also a bit worried it won't be "unique" enough - I've been playing SSL1's for 15 years already, although I do love the hell out of them. Again I'm not dead set on having a Fender sound, I'm into anything as long as it sounds nice clean, and it's different than the humbuckers on their own so i can get good variety. So based on this description does that help anyone give some more suggestions ?

P.s. to answer one of you who had asked, it's Ibanez auto split, so 2 and 4 are splitting to the inner coils of the humbuckers. That's my preferred split method

Cheers
              -michael

Have you considered going to the Custom Shop and asking for a middle single coil that's complementary to the Alpha/Omega's EQ curve? I know it'd be pricey for just a solitary single-coil pickup, but they A/O set sounds so different from every other pickup in the SD line that I feel as though you're not going to find a currently available option that blends well with them.

Comment

I'd actually think that an STK-S4 would blend well, give you a good middle single coil sound that is higher output than an SSL-1. And it is hum-cancelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I'd actually think that an STK-S4 would blend well, give you a good middle single coil sound that is higher output than an SSL-1. And it is hum-cancelling.
                  You still think so? Cool , I checked out some clips and gotta say it sounds pretty great. Like an SSL 1 with less harsh high end. I like the sound of it and it'll work, and be cheaper than the custom shop option(though that's a tempting idea too). So I'm definitely considering it .

Question though ; do I want the Middle( RWRP) model, considering it is going in an Ibanez with a 5 way auto split ? Pos. 2 and 4 are the inner coils of the humbuckers being split with the middle Single coil. Just wanna make sure I get the right one.

Also do you know if the covers are removable/replacable ? Not a big deal , but if I have the option.. well it won't match well with the looks of the Alpha Omegas so id rather throw a generic black cover on it. It looks like either way, I'll have to modify it a little bit , since my guitar is direct mount. I'll also have to Dremel the edges of the legs round on the Alpha Omegas too.

Comment

The covers are glued on, and you'd want to order the non-rw/rp one if you are using it with humbuckers. You might contact SD directly to see if they could do a cover that matches. It might fit in the Shop Floor Custom program. Call or email SD directly to see if it does.

Comment

Working...
                    X