Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups For PRS SE Singlecut

Hi everyone,
    I've been looking at getting a new set of pickups for my PRS SE Singlecut (hardtail). I'm not really sure which pickups to get I want something that would be different than what I've got in other guitars. I'm got a PRS semihollow loaded with Seths, an American Standard Strat loaded with Antiquities, and an Ibanez Sa160 with a Duncan Distortion (Bridge), SSL4(Mid), and Hot Rail(Neck).

I've been leaning towards the Phat Cats, Saturday Night Specials, or Pearly Gates. I'm also considering something like a Jazz in the neck, with a Custom Custom, or JB jr in the bridge. My goal with this guitar is something fairly versatile that doesn't go to close to what I've already got.

I mostly play Pop, Classic Rock, and a little Jazz.
    Last edited by Jakash; 08-30-2019, 09:01 AM.

Re: Pickups For PRS SE Singlecut

What about a 59 neck and regular Custom for the bridge?
    "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

Is there a particular sound you are going for? Is there an issue with the current pickups, or are you just looking for different?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Is there a particular sound you are going for? Is there an issue with the current pickups, or are you just looking for different?
        I'm finding them a little thin and harsh in the bridge and the neck is a bit muddy. Also, I have an SE Santana that has the same (or at least similar pickups) and want to differentiate the guitars.

Comment

I have one of the early singlecuts that I'm about to try some pickups in, so I'm following this to see what others have tried. I've got a set of Seths and a set of WLHs that need a home, so one of those will probably stick. Just waiting on my Liberator pot to get here.

Comment

Originally posted by BluesIsBlood12 View Post
            I have one of the early singlecuts that I'm about to try some pickups in, so I'm following this to see what others have tried. I've got a set of Seths and a set of WLHs that need a home, so one of those will probably stick. Just waiting on my Liberator pot to get here.
            Having used Seths in a Bernie Marsden I think the might be great in the Singlecut. I was originally considering them, but having them in two guitars seems like too much. I wonder how a WLH bridge with a Seth neck would work?

Comment

im sure the wlh bridge and seth neck would work fine but i love the wlh neck

Comment

Seths

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
                Originally posted by Myaccount876
                Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

I would consider 59/Custom Hybrid for bridge and Jazz for neck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I used to have a WLH/Phat Cat combo in my PRS SE Singlecut, and I really dug it.

Comment

I struggled trying to find a set that worked well in a PRS SE 245 for a long time. The very short scale of the 245's seem to neuter and smooth out anything I put in it. I tried Seths, Duncan 59's, A2Pro Slash set, CustomCustom, Custom 5, Whole Lotta Set, JB/59, Super Distortion/Super 2, Tone Zone/Paf Pro. Nothing lasted long because the pickups all sounded much livelier in other guitars. I decided to try a set that I found too brash in other guitars, the Dimarzio Norton and Fred. Regular Norton in the bridge, and Fred in the neck. It turned out to be the Goldilocks set. Crazy good harmonics with both neck and bridge. The PRS 245 takes just enough edge off the pickups to make them perfect in this setup. The Norton is very balanced in the 245, tight bass, highs are not too harsh, plenty of mids. The neck is not nearly as muddy in the bass end as the PAF Pro was, and the increased mids match the Norton very well. Still has some of the bubbly nature of a vintage PAF neck. It has taken my PRS 245 from a guitar that bored me every time I picked it up to one I can't put down.

Comment

Well, I was talking with a friend who had just taken a nickel-plated Alnico II Pro bridge out of one of his guitars. He let me have it for $20. So, for now, I think I may just try it in the bridge. What would pair well with it in the neck?

I'm still looking for bridge pickup suggestions because this one may not work out but for $20 I thought it was worth a try.

Comment

Something different would be some P-Rails with Triple Shots.

Comment

What leg length should I get for a singlecut. Another friend of mine offered me an antiquity neck for $50 bucks it's got long legs so I'm not sure it'll fit. Also, would it blend well with the Alnico II Pro?

Comment

Get an accurate ruler, and measure the depth, and compare it to this.

Comment

Working...
                              X