Which Duncans use Butyrate bobbins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Duncans use Butyrate bobbins?

I'm just curious. I read a description on the SD blog saying the PAF style pickups used butyrate bobbins. They listed the 59, Seth, and Antiquities specifically if I recall correctly. I didn't think the 59s were butyrate and what about the PGs? They're PAF style, plus modern four conductor wiring.
    "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Re: Which Duncans use Butyrate bobbins?

I see the Antiquity pickups do.

It makes zero difference in how the pickup sounds. It’s just marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Both the Seth Lover and Antiquity HBs use Butyrate bobbins.

/Peter
      Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
      Kolding, Denmark

Comment

It makes zero difference in how the pickup sounds. It’s just marketing.
        So true. Would apply to many guitar parts, not just pickups.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          So true. Would apply to many guitar parts, not just pickups.
          Also people doing silly things like top wrapping stop tailpieces on Gibsons.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
            Also people doing silly things like top wrapping stop tailpieces on Gibsons.

I don't know about top wrapping. Might make damping easier/more comfortable?
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
              I don't know about top wrapping. Might make damping easier/more comfortable?
              People have the idea that screwing the stop tail all the way down to the body somehow increases sustain. It doesn’t.

But that applies too steep of a break angle over the bridge, so they top wrap to reduce this angle.

But that’s no different than just raising the stop bar up and stringing through the tailpiece the way it was intended. That’s why it’s adjustable.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                People have the idea that screwing the stop tail all the way down to the body somehow increases sustain. It doesn’t.

But that applies too steep of a break angle over the bridge, so they top wrap to reduce this angle.

But that’s no different than just raising the stop bar up and stringing through the tailpiece the way it was intended. That’s why it’s adjustable.

I know that. Just pointing out that having strings on top would make controlling damping easier. I do play strats though, but often keep smoothing out notes with a slight touch at the bridge. When get it right it improves sound considerably.
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Antiquitys and Seths when it comes to standard stuff. A handful of Custom Shop models have them (e.g. the Amos set), plus you can spec them on any Custom Shop build of a standard-style humbucker.

The '59s are supposedly wound on an old Gibson winding machine, but don't have butyrate bobbins.

Also, DiMarzio P.A.F. '59s and Mojotone '59 Clones have the butyrate bobbins.

The Mojotones use A4 mags (which, according to old Gibson purchase records, made up 70 percent of the bar magnets purchased during the P.A.F. years). The DiMarzios use weakened A5s. The Seths use A2s. The Antiquitys use weakened A2s.

Butyrate is only an issue if you will have uncovered coils and want them to break in cosmetically like butyrate bobbins do. It's a visual thing that manifests only after years of play, not a tonal thing.
                  Last edited by ItsaBass; 09-02-2019, 04:12 PM.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                    I know that. Just pointing out that having strings on top would make controlling damping easier. I do play strats though, but often keep smoothing out notes with a slight touch at the bridge. When get it right it improves sound considerably.
                    You mean palm muting? It’s exactly the same. You don’t rest your hand on the tailpiece, and the tailpiece should be adjusted up so the break angle is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                      Antiquitys and Seths when it comes to standard stuff. A handful of Custom Shop models have them (e.g. the Amos set), plus you can spec them on any Custom Shop build of a standard-style humbucker.

The '59s are supposedly wound on an old Gibson winding machine, but don't have butyrate bobbins.

Also, DiMarzio P.A.F. '59s and Mojotone '59 Clones have the butyrate bobbins.

The Mojotones use A4 mags (which, according to old Gibson purchase records, made up 70 percent of the bar magnets purchased during the P.A.F. years). The DiMarzios use weakened A5s. The Seths use A2s. The Antiquitys use weakened A2s.

Butyrate is only an issue if you will have uncovered coils and want them to break in cosmetically like butyrate bobbins do. It's a visual thing that manifests only after years of play, not a tonal thing.
                      It was just kind of a curiosity thing as far as how much the PAF style humbuckers have the same construction.

Speaking of magnets, I've got some polished A4 mags on the way to play with. I'm gonna try them in my Pearly Gates and maybe a Custom and a Gibson 490R I've got laying around. I was reading that the polished mags have a little more high end (don't know if that's really noticeable or not?) and that the Gibson ones from back in the day were probably rough cast and a little more mellow.
                      "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

FWIW, the earliest 59's had also butyrate bobbins (with specially shaped bobbin cores designed by Seymour to avoid bending, since butyrate is a soft material bending over time under wiring tension... food for thought: https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...icas-wont-bend ). :-)
                        Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

There's no real reason to top wrap the tailpiece

We do it because our heroes do it and it looks cool.

You could just raise the tailpiece instead and the end results would be the same.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
                          Originally posted by Myaccount876
                          Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

You can do either, topwrap or raise. Certainly the look is more ugly with a tailpieces raised up to the heavens. The result at the bridge end is the same, it's just some people get annoyed for no reason when others do it......they seem to use it as a vehicle to complain about one thing or other.
                            And the tailpieces as it was designed was most certainly designed to topwrap......as it was a bridge/tailpieces in one originally. The only difference in construction when it became a tailpieces alone was the lack of grubscrews.
                            Not only did it serve this function in 54, but SGs and Firebirds also used them as bridges by themselves......of course with the lightningbolt version.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdwillis View Post
                              I've got some polished A4 mags on the way to play with. I'm gonna try them in my Pearly Gates and maybe a Custom and a Gibson 490R I've got laying around. I was reading that the polished mags have a little more high end (don't know if that's really noticeable or not?) and that the Gibson ones from back in the day were probably rough cast and a little more mellow.

Both of those PU's have A2's so you're going to get more high end, thinner mids, and a firmer low end. I like 490R's much better with a brighter magnet, I use A5's.

Roughcast (sandcast) magnets have a slightly smoother high end, and some of us like to use them in the bridge slot because of that (like Zhang). Not a big difference, either way.
                              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                              X