Need help choosing Neck Pickup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help choosing Neck Pickup.

I have a Jeff Beck Strat with a SD Cutom flat on bridge and Custom staggered on neck.
    I am very happy with the bridge sound. I wish the neck was brighter/cleaner.
    I tried the SSL-1 on the neck but it does not want to distort.

I like Robin Trower, Hendrix, Uli Roth, SRV tones.
    What would you recommend ?

Re: Need help choosing Neck Pickup.

Well, SRV and Hendrix are not really 'distorted' at all. They are like a more like a low to mid overdrive tone.
    I find no issue with pickups of much lower supposed output (even than the ssl1) getting the right ballpark of tones (drive level included). This is with sub 6k vintage strat neck pickups with an overdrive tone dialled in with either amp doing the work or an OD pedal.

What rig do you run and how is it set?
    Last edited by AlexR; 09-03-2019, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
      Well, SRV and Hendrix are not really 'distorted' at all. They are like a more like a low to mid overdrive tone.
      I find no issue with pickups of much lower supposed output (even than the ssl1) getting the right ballpark of tones (drive level included). This is with sub 6k vintage strat neck pickups with an overdrive tone dialled in with either amp doing the work or an OD pedal.

What rig do you run and how is it set?
      Marshall 18 wat and JTM-45 with Ratt, Guv'nor and TS.
      I did not like the SSL-1 in the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by aroman View Post
        I did not like the SSL-1 in the neck.
        Funny you said that... see, the SSL-1 has more the quintessential SRV iconic tonefootprint than any other p'up in the market, specially the neck one.

/Peter
        Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
        Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Maybe the Alnico 2 Seymour Duncan’s? I believe the model are aps. I’ve had my eye on them lately... I heard they are good for that 60s blues tone.

Comment

If OP wants a bright tone that distorts, IMO the Alnico 2 singles (APS-2) are the exact opposite of what he wants. Those pickups are dull and low-output; good if you like that, but...

I’d look into Rose Buff Beauties. Clear and decent output.
            Originally posted by King Buzzo
            I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

i dont find the aps dull at all, they are low output though. i used an aps2/aps2/twangbanger set for years in a strat and they sounded great. i think they sound better with overdrive/cranked amp than a typical a5 fender strat pup but dont have the same chime when clean

Comment

The Five Two is a great compromise between the warmth of the APS series and the SSL series.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Discharged View Post
                  Funny you said that... see, the SSL-1 has more the quintessential SRV iconic tonefootprint than any other p'up in the market, specially the neck one.

/Peter
                  I like Robin Trower, Hendrix, Uli Roth, Jeff Beck, Malmsteen, Blackmore, SRV etc.

Comment

Thank you !
                    I love the Alnico 2 neck on my Tele !.

Comment

Thank you !

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        i dont find the aps dull at all, they are low output though. i used an aps2/aps2/twangbanger set for years in a strat and they sounded great. i think they sound better with overdrive/cranked amp than a typical a5 fender strat pup but dont have the same chime when clean

Thank you !

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          The Five Two is a great compromise between the warmth of the APS series and the SSL series.
                          Thank you !

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            They sounded good with a fuzz; given OP's statement his pickups 'don't distort' I'm guessing he's not wanting to turn up the gain though? APS's would need that.
                            Originally posted by King Buzzo
                            I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I have a Jeck Beck Strat (early version) with Gold Lace sensor. The bridge (splited) are very clean and bright.

If you want Hendrix like distortion, you can keep your SSL-1 and get a Fuzz Face.
                              Then you will control the amount of fuzz with your guitar volume knob.
                              Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Working...
                              X