X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSS pickup recommendations w/ FloydRose -Blues/Classic Rock

Hey all. New to the forum.

Need some input and recommendations.
    Have a MIJ Floyd Rose Strat with rosewood neck and TBX tone control that has been through MIM pickups (meh) and Lace dually red/silver/blue (blue on the neck is ok but lace just is not my thing)
    I know with the FR trem I need a little more output. Which probably has a lot to do with why I didn't care for previous pickups. Looking for a good strat with humbucker sound for mostly blues, classic rock - think SRV, Clapton, ZZ top, Dickey Betts, Jimi, Aerosmith, Gary Clark Jr, BB, Eagles, etc. E.G. mostly clean with a little over drive most of the time but occasionally more drive.

So my goal would be a great sounding humbucker that sounds good split or parallel with a single coil in middle. Oh, and a side order of good output vintage single coil sound with quack, hold the noise. What are my best options?

I'm leaning towards
    Bridge -JB Trembucker
    Mid - Vintage Hot Stack Plus (stk-s7) (Should this be Reverse wound or no?)
    neck- Little 59 (love the full size 59 and saturday night special sound but not worth going to full HSH)

I started out liking the JB for the sound and it should split well, then was reminded to keep the output in mind for the mid and neck which brought me to the above selection, but now I am wondering if that will result in too much output at the cost of bluesy/ classic rock tone. This is mostly for playing at home on a Fender 12w Musicmaster silver face 1x12 tube amp w/ OD, Delay, Reverb, and Wah Wah pedals.

I have tried the Fender Texas Specials but I am not a fan of those either. Also played the Rio BBQ/Texas in a Gibson and they were awesome but that was not my guitar, bridge, amp and in the end I keep coming back the SD website for pickups as they really seem to have thought everything through.
    In the last few weeks I have watched about every youtube video and listened to every sound bite I can get a hold of as well as searched forums and reviews which has helped but the number of options out there ..wow.

Thanks for the advice, experience, and input in advance.

Re: HSS pickup recommendations w/ FloydRose -Blues/Classic Rock

Pearly Gates + Fender Fat 50s

They work with each other amazingly well.

The Pearly Gates, IMO, work better with single coils than does a JB while retaining that screaming, rude tone.

Meanwhile, the Fat 50s are just perfect for Blues Rock. They're everything the Texas Specials WANT to be.
    Last edited by Archer250; 09-03-2019, 08:17 PM.
    Originally posted by Myaccount876
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

I think the 59/Custom Hybrid sounds better split than a JB, and is a more touch-sensitive pickup, too for styles/bands you like. For the middle, I'd suggest a Classic Stack, as it is clearer and won't overpower the other pickups, and will also be better for that music. Either way, the middle I'd keep non rw/rp, as I would use it full-on all the time.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Lace has some decent pickups, but the red dually is awful, and I wasn't much impressed with the silver as a middle pickup in the Strat Ultra a relative had. Silver neck, Gold middle, Blue bridge would have been hugely better. Though I still don't love the old Lace designs, apparently newer variations are better... But I wouldn't bother, especially in an HSS config.

I would probably not do a JB, given your list of influences. But pick the singles first, then worry about matching the bridge pickup. If you want quack, you usually want a low output middle pickup. Also, SRV & Hendrix pretty heavily used their neck single coil. I'd consider an STK-S4m Classic Stack Plus middle & STK-S7 Hot Vintage Stack Plus neck. Hot warm neck, brighter middle pickup. An STK-S4 neck would be even better for quack, but if you want SRVish drive without the massive strings, it's a good compromise.

For bridge pickup, it depends a little on the sound of the guitar. Is it an ash or alder strat, or a basswood superstrat? If basswood, I'd ESPECIALLY stay away from the JB. Yes, it works for some people, but those people tend to like the JB so much they get rid of guitars which the JB sits badly in, rather than figure out what works for the instrument...

If it's a bright guitar, I'd suggest something like a Custom Custom to warm it up. If it's a bit more neutral, there's a lot more options. Whole Lotta Humbucker might be good. If it's basswood, I'd go for a PATB-3 Blues Saraceno. It's like a '59 bridge that's hotter without losing the high end. If the guitar is a bit darker, I'd consider a '59/Custom Hybrid, though the PATB-3 would still be an option.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

When I had an HSS, that was my pretty much my favorite setup. I think you should go for it. I really liked how the humbucker and little humbucker went together for a rockin sound but then the little humbucker and the stack go together to get some decent single coil sounds.

Comment

If I were to set up a H/S/S for Metal Rock and blues I would look at a 59/Custom hybrid bridge then a set of Antiquity Texas Hots. Hybrid does high gain tones amazingly well and will cover a huge amount of ground plus splits very well and the Texas Hots have a rude edge that is really cool but will clean up and get glassy well with a little lighter touch an a volume roll off. Will cover the hot Strat tones and also do the metal thing well with just a 5 way and set of 500K pots. With the Texas Hots being north leading the RW/RP middle is really a standard wind so will be humbucking with a split Hybrid and with the neck single. Tha set up would cover a HUGE amount of tonal territory!!
            Last edited by Ascension; 09-04-2019, 12:52 AM.
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Thanks for the responses!
              It makes much more sense to start at the neck with tone I want and work back to the bridge. I got stuck on the JB as a recommendation because it was supposed to split well and maybe it does. Keeping neck pickup #1 concern, then output, quack, etc in mind. I like the fat 50s and antiquitys but once I heard the S7’s they keep finding their way to the top of the list. As pointed out, thickening the sound of smaller strings will inch closer to my target tone. With the S7 output that leaves the pearly gates and the like too low on volume. I went to the music shop set on purchasing:

Bridge- PATB3 (intriguing pickup ... it is a basswood body), 59/custom or custom/custom
              Middle- STK-S4m
              Neck- STK-S7

However, the shop was lacking in selection on SD pickups... but I got to play a basswood Floyd guitar with Dimarzio pickups along with help from a Dimarzio guru that instantly knew what I was talking about. Not just “ get this... because I like it in my LP” without understanding the customers goal and guitar. Any way, I came home with the following:

Bridge- Super 3 (nice mid, tight base, creamy treble which works great on basswood guitars)
              Mid- Area 61 (for chime and quack)
              Neck - virtual vintage Heavy Blues (which should produce SRV tone)

The super 3 is described more like a heavy metal pickup but it plays well clean and retains tone under drive.

Will report back once installed. I have a MIM strat though that will get the Seymour Duncan set above once I decide on the bridge preference. Cheers!

Comment

Heavy Blues is the closest thing that Dimarzio has to the Antiquity Texas Hot neck and a good choice. The Super 3 is a big open round pickup and it might surprise you. That was the stock bridge pickup Fender used in the old 1980's HM Strat. The mid should be standard wind and the Neck RW /RP if you want position 2 tapped to be humbucking with the middle. Other wise you need to Split your bridge Super 3 to the opposite coil from normal.
                Have my Washburn MG 120 with a pair of SSL-1's and a JB set up like that where I am splitting the JB in the bridge to the Screw coil so it will hum cancel split with the RW/RP SSL-1 in the middle. That should be a solid combo if you set it up right.
                Stand by my suggestion on the Hybrid / Texas Hots though. Would make for a wicked combo in a Super Strat set up for Blues, Rock and Metal.
                Here are your Texas Hots
                If you want the SRV tone with 9's or 10's instead iof 12's these NAIL it!!
                Last edited by Ascension; 09-04-2019, 08:39 PM.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Lest you think the Texas Hots won't get sweet quack and have some glass if you lighten your touch and back some gain out--.
                  Last edited by Ascension; 09-04-2019, 08:49 PM.
                  Guitars

Comment

Just when I think I made my mind up! That’s definitely dead on. Thanks for the wiring tip too.

Comment

I think the JB maybe a bit too fat for this application. Agreed, it does sound very good in Alder bodies, but im still on the fence about it in Basswood. I have 2 in basswood and it seems a bit muddled. Still deciding on what to swap them out with.

59/Custom Hybrid IS probably your best bet. Custom Custom maybe good as well, but may sound pretty dark in Basswood. If you can source one, right now, my favorite humbucker strat has a SH-9 Silverbird. It is an incredible pickup and so well balanced. I have not tried it split yet but i can image its pretty good. Has enough grit and girth yet very articulate. A Screamin' Demon maybe a good choice since its pretty bright. I liked it quite a bit in my Basswood Charvel.
                      Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
                      Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

The Super 3 is a smoother Super Distortion. That's more Def Leppard or Iron Maiden than classic rock/blues.

The PATB-3 is designed to get a roaring Les Paul sound out of a basswood superstrat with Floyd Rose. Seems dead-on for what you are looking for. '59/Custom Hybrid would be an excellent choice as well, and have a more stratty bridge & middle split sound, if you split to stud coil (and get polarity right, IIRC an STK-S4m is correct for that without messing with magnet flips and reversing phase of bridge pickup).

If your local shop doesn't stock the right pickups, particularly if you are the US and can take advantage of the 21-day swap, I'd order online.

Comment

For the bridge, definitely not a JB. I like the '59/Custom hybrid with a warmer magnet (UOA5 or A2)
                          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

+1 on the PATB-3. Love mine- big and sweet, still cleans up nicely. Perfect with a Floyd.
                            Put one of these in, and move that Super3 to your MIM guitar. You won't be sorry.
                            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Deacon1921 View Post
                              Thanks for the responses!
                              It makes much more sense to start at the neck with tone I want and work back to the bridge. I got stuck on the JB as a recommendation because it was supposed to split well and maybe it does. Keeping neck pickup #1 concern, then output, quack, etc in mind. I like the fat 50s and antiquitys but once I heard the S7’s they keep finding their way to the top of the list. As pointed out, thickening the sound of smaller strings will inch closer to my target tone. With the S7 output that leaves the pearly gates and the like too low on volume. I went to the music shop set on purchasing:

Bridge- PATB3 (intriguing pickup ... it is a basswood body), 59/custom or custom/custom
                              Middle- STK-S4m
                              Neck- STK-S7

However, the shop was lacking in selection on SD pickups... but I got to play a basswood Floyd guitar with Dimarzio pickups along with help from a Dimarzio guru that instantly knew what I was talking about. Not just “ get this... because I like it in my LP” without understanding the customers goal and guitar. Any way, I came home with the following:

Bridge- Super 3 (nice mid, tight base, creamy treble which works great on basswood guitars)
                              Mid- Area 61 (for chime and quack)
                              Neck - virtual vintage Heavy Blues (which should produce SRV tone)

The super 3 is described more like a heavy metal pickup but it plays well clean and retains tone under drive.

Will report back once installed. I have a MIM strat though that will get the Seymour Duncan set above once I decide on the bridge preference. Cheers!
                              Update:
                              Ordered the lil 59/stks7/ JB and put them in my mim strat. The neck and middle are great. And as everyone said the JB just doesn’t do what i am looking for-mid pushy, with treble but not a twangy treble. From searching on here 250k pots seem to help tame the JB.

The Dimarzio set up in the MIJ - VV heavy blues, area 61, super 3. Again neck and middle are great, if anyone wants position 4 quack this is spot on. Super 3 ain’t bad but not really wow’ed by it. As i write this i realize it is not wired to a tone pot... may play with that tomorrow but the output just seems too high. Sounded good in the store though.

May end up with the patb blues in the mij since it was intended for the Floyd rose style and a Dimarzio with a more classic P.A.F. or P90s sound that splits well in the MIM. So i can swap and get the patb and Floyd together.

All in the search for tone!

Comment

Working...
                              X