Something less bright and stronger than 59 Bridge in HSS Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something less bright and stronger than 59 Bridge in HSS Strat

I have a great superstrat guitar with a 59 bridge and two STL-S1s in the neck and middle. It’s a very good combination in this guitar.

I would like the bridge humbucker to have a little more “oomph” and a little less high end. And I only made a little. I do not want and incredibly overwhelmed Humbucker that is always compressed.

I play through a fractal AX8 into front of house or FRFR rig, and I play rock/pop

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Something less bright and stronger than 59 Bridge in HSS Strat

If you get either a double thick A6 or double thick A2 from cermag, it will do exactly that. Give you more punch and round off the top. The A2 more round than the A6. Otherwise, Duncan only has a few vintage hot PAFs to choose from such as the saturday night special or the 59/custom hybrid.

You could also buy a hotter pickup, make 2 hybrids with the 59, sell 1, and make back most or all of your $$.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 09-06-2019, 11:26 AM.

Comment

I'd definitely spend $10 to try an A2 and A4 magnet first. Or an A8 since you want more "oomph." EQ-wise an A8 is probably exactly what you want, but I disliked the feel of it. It's hard to get what that means until you've tried it. Still, it cost me $4 and 5 minutes to figure that out, so it's worth giving it a shot.

If you're set on a pickup change, the 59/Custom is a good suggestion, though you may find that it's still too bright. An A2/A4 magnet should fix that up. Bonus, if you've got it coil tapped then it'll be much more realistic than the 59 is. A Whole Lotta Humbucker bridge is also a consideration. Several people will chime in with Custom 5 and Custom Custom, but I can't comment since I've never used one. They might be too hot for you.

Comment

Have you tried moving it closer to the strings? That might solve your problem for free.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Whole Lotta Humbucker.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            Whole Lotta Humbucker.
            +1

Comment

The WLH would be my choice, too. It isn't compressed, yet it is slightly more powerful than a 59.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                +1
                +2

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                  If you get either a double thick A6 or double thick A2 from cermag, it will do exactly that. Give you more punch and round off the top. The A2 more round than the A6. Otherwise, Duncan only has a few vintage hot PAFs to choose from such as the saturday night special or the 59/custom hybrid.

You could also buy a hotter pickup, make 2 hybrids with the 59, sell 1, and make back most or all of your $$.
                  I think you should include needing double thick spacers if doing this.

Comment

Ya. Duncan just turns spacers on their side. You def need them tho.

Comment

+3 on the wlh, its got more more mids than the 59, which is gonna make it seem a little hotter, a Saturday night special would also be great, from the custom shop, a 78 will have less of a cutting high end, but you might miss the low end punch of the 59. The brobucker is also good for taking a 59 and moving it up a few notches, still a lot of punch but a smoother top end.

Comment

Working...
                      X