how do you extend pickup wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you extend pickup wires?

I got some extra wire. I have no problem soldering. My question is mostly about what technique people use to connect the wires?

Are you twisting the wires together, tinning them and then laying down some heat shrink?

Re: how do you extend pickup wires?

if i extend the wires, then do as you said. twist, tin, heat shrink. i try not to do that too often though. most times, ill replace the wire completely

Comment

I agree. I have actually found wire to use in the lines of old electronics, etc. that I normally would have tossed. I rarely have to extend wires otherwise.

Comment

ok thanks. I just got a set of used pickups that are harder to find but are just a couple inches short for my guitar. I don't feel too guilty with a one-time extending in this case.

Replacing the whole thing would look cleaner but seems more involved than I want to get.

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
          ok thanks. I just got a set of used pickups that are harder to find but are just a couple inches short for my guitar. I don't feel too guilty with a one-time extending in this case.

Replacing the whole thing would look cleaner but seems more involved than I want to get.
          Yes, but how often do people look inside your control cavity to see your wiring?

It's definitely more involved and time consuming to replace the wires. No need to put your pup at risk by replacing the entire wire.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
          X