Swapped magnet on Pegasus 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapped magnet on Pegasus 7

I finally swapped the A5 out of my Pegasus 7 for an A8. Still need to work on the pickup and pole piece height, and my amp settings, but it’s definitely an improvement. The low end is tighter, the midrange is spread out broader, and right now the highs are present but rounded a little bit though there’s a slight clingy rasp in the treble. I still hear the bloom on the chords when driven, but they’re more distinct. Clean, it has a bit of a tele bridge vibe. It’s grown on me this morning. I want to replace the rest of my fillister poles with the 5/8 hex poles to coax some more definition and treble response since that was my original complaint. One complaint I have is that it could track a bit better. It feels a touch slow in response to my playing. Just noticeable to make me trip over speedy passages a bit. I’m not sure if it’s worse than the A5 Pegasus yet. The A8 version sounds urgent in power but not quite as immediate in attack. I had replaced the lowest three fillisters with hex poles before the mag swap and I’m mainly hearing this illusion on the fillistered strings. So I’m thinking replacing the rest and figuring out the heights of everything will help solve this. Then again it might just be in my mind or I’m just getting rusty and it’s actually being honest about my playing.

The Peg8sus (Lol) definitely brings up the output and thickens up the tone while shifting the weird midrange band over and filling in the sound better. I recommend doing this. Just make sure to unsolder the shield from the bottom before opening it up and line up the magnet so it’s making equal contact with the highest and lowest strings. The 2.50 inch long a8 will work fine. I reversed the magnet since I plan on doing inner outer coil wiring but didn’t change the existing wiring yet and got a useable out of phase sound. I think the magnet lends it enough strength to make it loud enough.

Re: Swapped magnet on Pegasus 7

If you want mids with treble try A9.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
      If you want mids with treble try A9.
      Have fun finding those!

I just use ceramic 8 magnets. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ya I was thinking that A9 in 7 string length might be impossible to find but he mentioned he just used or could use 2.5". Those are on ebay thru addfx.

Comment

I’m thinking of trying out the ceramic 8 I also got. But what a pain with swapping. The pickups are direct mounted and the trem is a recessed two point non locking one, and the tape and unsoldering the shield... I’d rather just rock out for a while lol.

I do want to experiment with the original Alnico 5 and a ceramic 8 spacer sized magnet sometime though. The A5 should be fine and if there is degaussing, it will be far in the future. I don’t think it’s been a problem for the Iommi pickups or the Juggernaut, extra thickness aside.

Comment

Working...
          X