banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Circuit board in newish les paul studio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circuit board in newish les paul studio?

I haven't jumped into the deep end of this one quite yet. Just cracked it open to see what I was dealing with.

I have a customer who wants me to replace the stock pickups in his les paul studio with some Seymour Duncans. Should be pretty simple. Nope. Turns out this guitar has a circuit board that everything is plugged into.

Theoretically I know I can still hook up the new pickups the traditional way, but it seems like a shame to go snipping a bunch of wires unnecessarily, and with the circuit board in there its a little unpredictable for me to know what will happen after the fact. Throwing this out there to the wisdom of the masses, would you recommend replacing the complete harness with something more traditional? He doesn't want any coil tapping or anything else special. Removing the existing harness as it is will ensure that its easier to revert the guitar to its stock specs in the future.

Click image for larger version

Name:	file-8 (002) resize.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	5852757

Re: Circuit board in newish les paul studio?

They sell adapters on ebay to solder onto pickups so they plug right into the quick connect plugs and also that plug into pickups to use in non quick connect guitars.https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Gibson-Qu...UAAOSwPHZdOJMa

Comment

Yeah, I would just attach the 'tails' of the adapters to the pickup wires using solder and heat shrink tubing.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

One more thing while you’re at it, take an ohm meter and measure the resistance of all four pots. Often Gibson uses 300k ohm pots, and I believe Duncan recommends 500 k pots, plus the Gibson pots also tend to vary a bit.

On my studio when I put in the Pearly Gates set I just changed the whole deal and used Bourns pots, PIO caps, and 50’s wiring. It’s cheap enough to do, and you can keep all the stock Gibson stuff intact so it’s easily put back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by htwheelz67 View Post
          They sell adapters on ebay to solder onto pickups so they plug right into the quick connect plugs and also that plug into pickups to use in non quick connect guitars.https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Gibson-Qu...UAAOSwPHZdOJMa
          I got a set of adapters from that guy, he even color coded them to match DiMarzio’s for no extra charge!

I did change out a set of 300k pots for 550k ones in my 13 sg, but any of the newer ones I’ve checked have been 500k. I just put the new pots on the circuit board.

Comment

Working...
          X