Looking for a new bridge for my LaVoce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new bridge for my LaVoce

Hello, I'm looking for advice on pickups for my DBZ LaVoce.

The guitar:
    The guitar is very thin, probably about 2" thick body, half mahogany, half maple, if you're into that sort of thing. It's "SG-like" in size. The neck is maple, rosewood fretboard.

What it had:

The stock bridge specs are Alnico V Magnets, 15.4k. It was really dull and lifeless to me, like all mids, no detail.

I browsed for a while and decided to try a P-Rail because I fell in love with the sound of the Gibson P90s in an Epiphone 1955I, but they were a let down too. Super midsy, high output. I can get an okay sound out of them by scooping the mids very heavily but I prefer not to have to do that.

What I'm looking for:

I want to stick with the double-cream bobbin look it came with so I'm kinda stuck with DiMarzio, I've been looking through their catalog.

I'm looking for something vintage sounding that I can smack with gain and get something like a P90 or Ceramic humbucker that's snarly on the top end, glassy / scoopy through the mids with some thump at the bottom. I like something in an 80s hair metal / shredder vibe.

My favorite sounds from my current guitars are mostly from ceramic humbuckers, Rockfield Mafias, Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom and the Classic Elite stock Ibanez semi-hollow sounds, the Gibson P90s, and previously the stock humbucker in MIM strats.

What I've Got My Eye On:

The Bluesbucker as it claims to be a noiseless P90 sound in a humbucker housing. Lack of demos online has my a bit concerned I just don't have enough info to go on.

PAF Master, in spec it sounds wrong but I'm liking it in the Paul Gilbert demo video and This Video but I'm worried it might be a little dry / thin sounding for me. It may not be "what I'm looking for" but could be a new flavor I will enjoy.

Super Distortion, it's the sound of the 80s hair metal, but I'm afraid it might be a little too high gain and sterile for my tastes. I wish I could fine one to test out locally so I could feel how it responds to my playing.

36th Anniversary, I've played it and liked it in an EC401v but I'm worried it will be too midsy and not suit this thin-bodied guitar.

Re: Looking for a new bridge for my LaVoce

Originally posted by singlecutarmy View Post
    Hello, I'm looking for advice on pickups for my DBZ LaVoce.

The guitar:
    The guitar is very thin, probably about 2" thick body, half mahogany, half maple, if you're into that sort of thing. It's "SG-like" in size. The neck is maple, rosewood fretboard.

What it had:

The stock bridge specs are Alnico V Magnets, 15.4k. It was really dull and lifeless to me, like all mids, no detail.

I browsed for a while and decided to try a P-Rail because I fell in love with the sound of the Gibson P90s in an Epiphone 1955I, but they were a let down too. Super midsy, high output. I can get an okay sound out of them by scooping the mids very heavily but I prefer not to have to do that.

What I'm looking for:

I want to stick with the double-cream bobbin look it came with so I'm kinda stuck with DiMarzio, I've been looking through their catalog.

I'm looking for something vintage sounding that I can smack with gain and get something like a P90 or Ceramic humbucker that's snarly on the top end, glassy / scoopy through the mids with some thump at the bottom. I like something in an 80s hair metal / shredder vibe.

My favorite sounds from my current guitars are mostly from ceramic humbuckers, Rockfield Mafias, Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom and the Classic Elite stock Ibanez semi-hollow sounds, the Gibson P90s, and previously the stock humbucker in MIM strats.

What I've Got My Eye On:

The Bluesbucker as it claims to be a noiseless P90 sound in a humbucker housing. Lack of demos online has my a bit concerned I just don't have enough info to go on.

PAF Master, in spec it sounds wrong but I'm liking it in the Paul Gilbert demo video and This Video but I'm worried it might be a little dry / thin sounding for me. It may not be "what I'm looking for" but could be a new flavor I will enjoy.

Super Distortion, it's the sound of the 80s hair metal, but I'm afraid it might be a little too high gain and sterile for my tastes. I wish I could fine one to test out locally so I could feel how it responds to my playing.

36th Anniversary, I've played it and liked it in an EC401v but I'm worried it will be too midsy and not suit this thin-bodied guitar.
    you don't only have to look at Dimarzio; bareknuckle makes double cream humbuckers too. just not p90's.

I'd never ever buy the prail because imho, they don't sound that good.
    36th anniversary: decent. not too bad. bit boring.
    bluesbucker: very singlecoil-y, not like a p90. fairly flat and a bit skreechy in the top end. not a good match with a thin guitar.
    super distortion: lots of everything. IMHO, very boring.

in fact, I hate Dimarzio. They all sound so, so boring...

If I were you, I'd get in touch with AxesRus or houseoftone in the UK, because those guys make pickups to die for. And, double cream. and, affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
      you don't only have to look at Dimarzio; bareknuckle makes double cream humbuckers too. just not p90's.

I'd never ever buy the prail because imho, they don't sound that good.
      36th anniversary: decent. not too bad. bit boring.
      bluesbucker: very singlecoil-y, not like a p90. fairly flat and a bit skreechy in the top end. not a good match with a thin guitar.
      super distortion: lots of everything. IMHO, very boring.

in fact, I hate Dimarzio. They all sound so, so boring...

If I were you, I'd get in touch with AxesRus or houseoftone in the UK, because those guys make pickups to die for. And, double cream. and, affordable.
      Appreciate the input, I've played 36th anniversaries and thought they sound great but those are my only experience with DiMarzio - other than sound clips.

I have owned a Bareknuckle pickup (a Mule) and I ended up with a Korean stock pickup from a BC Rich that was indistinguishable from it I used instead. I just didn't see the value in spending $120 to go boutique after that. Maybe it was just a rare, amazing stock pickup, they both sounded amazing.

May consider the other builder since their prices are more reasonable.
      Last edited by singlecutarmy; 09-13-2019, 07:59 AM.

Comment

You said the guitar was half maple? I had major problems with a guitar with a maple body and had the same complaints I'm seeing from you - too much midrange and not enough high frequency detail. The one Dimarzio that would do the trick for you is the PAF Pro. The maple will mitigate its extended high end and the subdued midrange may work well with the maple.

For a budget option I would suggest this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Tone Meister View Post
          You said the guitar was half maple? I had major problems with a guitar with a maple body and had the same complaints I'm seeing from you - too much midrange and not enough high frequency detail. The one Dimarzio that would do the trick for you is the PAF Pro. The maple will mitigate its extended high end and the subdued midrange may work well with the maple.

For a budget option I would suggest this one.
          Good shout! I'm reading the description and this sounds like what I'm looking for, especially the cocked wah sound, wasnt even on my radar before. Definitely my top contender now.
          Last edited by singlecutarmy; 09-13-2019, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Good shout! I'm reading the description and this sounds like what I'm looking for, wasnt even on my radar before. Definitely my top contender now.
            I'd be surprised if wasn't spot on. It was one of two pickups that wasn't too midrange heavy.

Comment

I'd be surprised if wasn't spot on. It was one of two pickups that wasn't too midrange heavy.
              Seems to be common with PAFs, I get that guitar is a mid instrument but I find strong mid humps just kill the nuance of the instrument.

And yes, literally half maple

Comment

Seems to be common with PAFs, I get that guitar is a mid instrument but I find strong mid humps just kill the nuance of the instrument.

And yes, literally half maple

I can't be positive, but I pretty much attributed it to the maple body. So now, it appears that even a part maple body could possibly produce excessive midrange content.

Comment

I can't be positive, but I pretty much attributed it to the maple body. So now, it appears that even a part maple body could possibly produce excessive midrange content.
                  So I'm in an interesting dilemma.

I have $40 in gear points that expires in a week.

GC doesn't have the PAF Pro in stock in the color I want, they'd have to custom order, and gear rewards won't count toward custom order, so I'm thinking of buying another one available through them to use my points, and the PAF Pro through DiMarzio at full rpice and A/Bing them - so I need a #2 pickup.

Do you have any opinions on the Super 2 for this situation? It's basically a top heavy version of the Super Distortion, lower resistance, higher output. I'ts also cheap at $70, I'd basically be paying $30 out of pocket after rewards.

Comment

Lots of love around here for the SD. I gave up on them many years ago before they were wax potted because I hated the squealing. The ones today wouldn't have that problem, BUT it is a high output pickup, but you know that already.

Given your tastes and specific situation, if I were selecting a second choice for that guitar it'd be a DP191 Air Classic bridge model. Scooped mids, big bass, and sweet high end. Might want to check that one out.

Comment

Lots of love around here for the SD. I gave up on them many years ago before they were wax potted because I hated the squealing. The ones today wouldn't have that problem, BUT it is a high output pickup, but you know that already.

Given your tastes and specific situation, if I were selecting a second choice for that guitar it'd be a DP191 Air Classic bridge model. Scooped mids, big bass, and sweet high end. Might want to check that one out.
                      Awesome, thanks for your help!

Comment

Follow up on this: I dropped a Super 2 in it and it's perfect!

I still may buy an Alnico Pro at some point because I'm interested in it, but I'm really happy with what I ended up with considering I was able to use reward points and buy it for $40.

I think the amount of compression is really making this shine for me and what I've been playing lately, making legato and bends really easy, I don't have to fight for them.

When I want cleans and more dynamics I switch to the neck, so it's really made my guitar quite versatile.

Comment

You don't find the Super 2 too bright? I love that pickup in the neck as it's bright and clear. I've always paired it with either a regular Super Distortion or an X2N in the bridge, but never tried it as a bridge pickup. Glad it's working for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Toejam View Post
                            You don't find the Super 2 too bright? I love that pickup in the neck as it's bright and clear. I've always paired it with either a regular Super Distortion or an X2N in the bridge, but never tried it as a bridge pickup. Glad it's working for you.
                            I like bright lol. My amp is pretty dark at room volume. I would rather dial out top end than not have it.
                            Last edited by singlecutarmy; 09-23-2019, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X