wiring issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring issue

I have a Warmoth Tele with 3 pickups - 2 single coil (hum canceling) and the bridge is a humbucker. I have put a wire from the bridge to a pot for grounding. But there is a loud buzz. When I touch the strings or some metal on the guitar, the buzz goes away. But if I don't touch anything, the buzz is really loud. I have replaced the pickups and even the control panel, just to eliminate those as being the issue. But with all new electronics, it still buzzes really loudly.
    Any suggestions on what the issue could be? I have gone over my soldering, and it's fine. My other guitars don't have this issue.

Greg

Re: wiring issue

Welcome to the forum!

My guess is that the hot and ground could be reversed on the jack. Check that first.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Great, thanks! I'll check it

Comment

That wasn't the issue. It made it worse.

Comment

You have any pictures? It’s definitely a grounding issue. Is the back of that pot connected to the input jack or another pot that is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by greg54 View Post
            That wasn't the issue. It made it worse.
            well, that is the easiest thing to check in such cases. We need to see pics. Something isn't making a complete ground.

Comment

No matter how I try to post photos - whether from my computer or from photobucket - it won't allow me to.

Comment

Try using your phone and access the forum through tapatalk

Comment

Worst case, just have the links to your photobucket album.

Comment

I have a Warmoth Tele with 3 pickups - 2 single coil (hum canceling) and the bridge is a humbucker. I have put a wire from the bridge to a pot for grounding. But there is a loud buzz. When I touch the strings or some metal on the guitar, the buzz goes away. But if I don't touch anything, the buzz is really loud.
                    This is definitely a grounding issue.

I have gone over my soldering
                    99% of the time when someone has this problem and they say they have checked their wiring/soldering, it IS their wiring and/or soldering that is the problem. Unfortunately, we can't see where the problem is without clear, uncluttered photos that show every wire and connection. You say you grounded the bridge which is normally the culprit, and you checked the wiring of the jack to make sure the wires aren't reversed, so there is something else that either isn't grounded (to the pot which you grounded the bridge to) or the wiring is wrong or a bad solder connection.

Figure out a way to get photos to us or send me the guitar and I'll check it out, whichever is easier (pictures are usually easier and much cheaper).
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	telecontrol - edited.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	5817041Click image for larger version

Name:	telecontrol - edited.jpg
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	5817041

Click image for larger version

Name:	telecontrol4 - edited.jpg
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	5817042Click image for larger version

Name:	telecontrol4 - edited.jpg
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	5817042

These are the best photos I could get. Don't know why they doubled the photos. The black wire in the top photos is the ground from the baseplate.

GuitarDoc, where are you located in CA? I'm in Northern CA.

Greg

Comment

Sacramento
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

The white/bare and black solder in the pot doesn’t look so good. What is the red wire coming off the lug?

Comment

I don't mean any offense by this, but it's clear which connections were made by 920D, and which were made by you. Which 920D Tele plate/project is this? This might help us to straighten out your wiring.

Comment

beaubrummels: The red/white wire goes to the jack.

ArtieToo: Not offended. I know my wiring isn't the best. But it usually works - except for this guitar. I have 3 other guitars that I've soldered, and none of them have this issue. Not sure what you mean by asking what 920D Tele plate this is.

Greg
                              Last edited by greg54; 09-22-2019, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X