Super-switch wiring. Diagram needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super-switch wiring. Diagram needed.

Hi, I'm new around here! Thought I'm pretty sure I've read some threads while looking for other stuff. Looks like a good community, with a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people!

And I need help with a pup configuration (I did do some searching but couldn't find what I was looking for):

I use an RG321MH with a JB in the Bridge and a Jazz in the Neck and I like the way it's wired, except for the 4th position (neck in parallel). What I want is this:

1-Bridge (series)
    2-Inner coils
    3-Bridge and Neck (I think the wiring I have puts them in series. Standard RG321 wiring.)
    4-Bridge (series) and Neck outer coil (To get the brightness of the bridge pup and roundness of a single coil(esque) neck pick up. I hope.)
    5-Neck (series)

I've read articles but I still don't get it. How to do this wiring with a 5-way super-switch (Fender), I mean. And I build my own effects clones... I should be able to grasp that, but nope...
    I don't know whether position 4 should put the bridge pup and outer in series or in parallel...?

So, I'm looking for advice on the later and hopefully a diagram for the wiring I want. I'm probably gonna try other configs as time goes by, but I want to start with this one.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys and gals can provide!

Re: Super-switch wiring. Diagram needed.

I'm not sure exactly how the wiring is in your RG, but usually position 3 is in parallel.
    What you say about position 4 doesn't make sense..."the brightness of the bridge pup (humbucker) and roundness of a single coil". I think of it just the opposite, "brightness" = single coil, "roundness" = humbucker. I can't find the diagram I'm looking for that will give you what you want, but I can explain it to you.

The switch has 4 banks of 1 pole (common), and 5 throws each. Looking at the switch oriented vertically I'll call the upper left bank #1, upper right bank #2, lower left bank #3, and lower right bank #4.

Bank #1:
    lug 1 (common) = red + white wires from neck pup,
    lug 2 = blank,
    lug 3 = shunt wire to lug 3 of Bank #2, lug 6 (common) of Bank #3, and lug 6 (common) of Bank #4, then go to the input lug of the vol pot.,
    lug 4 = blank,
    lug 5 = wire to ground,
    lug 6 = blank

Bank #2:
    lug 1 (common) = red + white wires from bridge pup,
    lug 2 = blank,
    lug 3 = shunt to lug 3 of Bank #1,
    lug 4 = blank,
    lug 5 = blank,
    lug 6 = blank

Bank #3:
    lug 1 = blank,
    lug 2-5 = black wire from neck pup,
    lug 6 (common) = shunt from lug 3 of Bank #1.

Bank #4:
    lug 1-4 = black wire from bridge pup,
    lug 5 = blank,
    lug 6 (common) = shunt from lug 3 of Bank #1 and going to input lug of vol pot.

This will give you:
    position 1 = bridge humbucker (coils in series),
    position 2 = inner coils (slug coils) of both pups,
    position 3 = bridge humbucker (series) + neck humbucker (series), pups are parallel with each other,
    position 4 = bridge humbucker (series) + neck (outer coil/screw coil), pups are parallel with each other,
    position 5 = neck humbucker (series).
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Here's the diagram I was looking for (thanks to Dave Eichenberger/"Mincer").

It's hard to tell, but the red wire connects lugs 3 on both Banks #1 and #2. And for your purposes, the green wire only connects to Bank #1, not Bank #2.
      Last edited by GuitarDoc; 09-15-2019, 09:36 AM.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Hey GuitarDoc, thanks for the explanation and diagram!

In the meantime, I finally found a Seymour Duncan diagram that did what I wanted, but it also had the Neck coil-tap on it's own. I decided to just try it. Had to convert for use with an 'import' 5-way switch. I have to say, I like those two new sound very much! The Bridge and Neck coil-tap sounds like what I was thinking, however badly I explained it... It has some chunk and jangle. If that makes any more sense... And the Brige coil-tap on its own is *really* nice. Not a signle-coil, but I like it, especially with my auto-wah (MXR Envelope Filter). You can get a very nice 'quack' out of it.

Again, thanks! This'll be useful if I miss the inner coils sound.

I used these diagrams:

Two common types of 5-way switches... The questions I get asked in response to people reading my stuff on guitar wiring often relate to the 5-way pickup selector switch so I thought I'd write a brief explanation of how it works. Understanding how the 5-way switch on your guitar works is key to succ

EDIT: Meant to write *Bridge* coil-tap.
        Last edited by analoganarchist; 09-16-2019, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X