Pickups For PRS SE Santana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups For PRS SE Santana

Hi everyone. A few weeks back I asked about upgrading the pickups in my PRS SE Singlecut and got a lot of great recommendations. I wound up getting a set of the Alnico II Pros and they have just blown me away... So I have been upgrading the pups in a few other guitars. I put a set of Antiquities in my Bernie Marsden, a set of Antiquity Texas Hots in one strat and the Surfers in another, Seths in my semi-hollow, and finally, in my Ibanez S, I put a Distortion in the bridge, a Quarter Pounder in the middle, and a Hot Rails in the neck. Now I'm working on my last few guitars and the next on the list is a PRS SE Santana.

Since it's a Santana I thought I'd go for something in the ballpark of his tone. I've done a lot of reading and I found a post on here that said he has "Duncan '59 in the neck and a custom in bridge... and the bridge pup has a 370k resistor from its hot to ground reducing some of the high end." I'm torn between doing this setup or going with a Pearly Gates neck and a Custom Custom in the bridge—or some mix of the two. I'm going for his more modern tone (Supernatural era) with this guitar. What would be the best setup for this?
    Last edited by Jakash; 09-13-2019, 11:06 PM.

Re: Pickups For PRS SE Santana

I'd think the Custom Custom is a good choice, but I would consider the buttery Alnico II Pro for the neck. The rest is how he sets his amps up.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Re: Pickups For PRS SE Santana

Wasn't Santana using Duncan Distortions during the Supernatural era?

I still have 2 of the earlier PRS Santana SE guitars. I have tried dozens of pickup sets in them. Here is what I ended up with:

Classic set: Duncan Seth Lover Set
      More modern: Dimarzio Air Zone Bridge and 36th Anniversary Neck.

I also liked the Duncan Slash A2Pro set, but it worked better in my Les Paul, so that is where that set landed. I also really liked the Duncan 59 set I had in one for a while, but I like that set better in my SG.

Comment

Working...
      X