Low Output Humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Output Humbucker

I'm looking for something that's comparable to a SSL-6 output but in humbucker form, clear and with a lot of harmonic content (Bridge position). SC's seem to lack in this area. I'm a SC guy and I want to expand my horizons but I want to stay close to the same output as my other guitars... maybe slightly hotter but not too hot. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Herby; 09-15-2019, 12:26 AM.

Re: Low Output Humbucker

I'm not familiar with the pickup personally, but DiMarzio's "FRED" model humbucker is supposed to be a PAF-style pickup with boosted mids and lots of harmonic content (with about the same output as their PAF Pro model, it says on their site). That might work for you if you wanna check it out. Maybe someone else who has experience with that pickup can give their opinion on it, or recommend something else.

Comment

I'd say a Jazz bridge.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Or the Jazz neck pup to use in the bridge. The Jazz bridge has lots of mids and quite a bit more output than the neck model...maybe even too much for you if you're using it with singles.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I've always liked the screamin' demon in an HSS guitar.

Comment

You say "comparable to a SSL-6 output but in humbucker form." Do you need the HB'er to be in single-coil sized form? If not, quite a few humbuckers take on those qualities when simply wired in parallel. The Invader is a perfect example.

Comment

STK-S6 Custom Stack Plus is the hum-cancelling version of the SSL-6 Custom Flat. If you just want the same sound but without hum.

If you want traditional humbucker construction, probably a Jazz bridge or Screamin' Demon (NOT a high output pickup, it's more of a modern take on a PAF tone, more growl & bite, but tighter and a bit of a single coily feel), unless you want to try a hotter pickup in parallel like ArtieToo suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                Or the Jazz neck pup to use in the bridge. The Jazz bridge has lots of mids and quite a bit more output than the neck model...maybe even too much for you if you're using it with singles.
                I really didn’t hear a lot of mids when I had the Jazz Bridge and I raised pretty close to strings to get to balance with the Jazz neck. I don’t see any reason why it would overwhelm single coils.
                "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

The Jazz neck model in the bridge position is also a very harmonically rich pickup. I don't think you can go wrong with either Jazz model in the bridge.

Comment

+1

But like was said, the Demon would also be a great choice.
                    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 09-17-2019, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Would the SD Stagmag fit that category? I ask because it seemed to have a somewhat single coil construction to it.. like how there’s no screw pieces and has staggard magnets instead I believe. I never heard one but the design reminded me of something for single coil type sound.

Comment

A Stag Mag excels at splitting, which is a great single coil sound. In series, it is a but thick for most people who like humbuckers. There is always a tradeoff somewhere.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I agree with both of you.

The StagMag is two true single coils (magnet poles instead of screws and a bar magnet) together in a humbucker format. When split, it IS a single coil pup and sounds very good. I really love the split sound. To me it sounds fuller than most Strat pups but still has that bright, crisp, and spanky single coil sound. It also sounds very good in parallel. I happen to like it in series as well, but Mincer is correct that many find it a bit too heavy/thick sounding.

I'd have a lot more StagMags in my guitars if they weren't so expensive. Instead I use a lot of my favorite pups...P-90s and I'm happy.

Comment

I didn't clarify the size. It's going in a H-S configuration: █ ▐
                            I'm looking at the JAZZ pickup. Probably the neck pickup.
                            Thank you all for your inputs.

Comment

You are welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X