Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop Lil Pearly Gates For Strat

Hey Everyone, hope everything's good!

I bought one of the CS lil Pearly gates but haven't installed it yet. It's 12.3k with A2 magnets so I'm not sure what pots I should use. I've heard 500k makes the other single coils sound all trebly and piercing.

The other pickups are standard ceramic MIM single coils.
    The Artist Formerly Known As Drunken Bowling

Re: Custom Shop Lil Pearly Gates For Strat

I've got the CS Pearly Gates for Tele pickup in my custom T-style and I'm using 500k pots in that guitar. I'm also using a regular PG in the neck, as well.

For you... i dunno. Maybe 300k?

Comment

If I were you, I'd consider replacing the other two singles as well, with something that would sound decent.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

You can have only the humbucker see 500k and the other two 250k

In the old days guitars had either humbuckers or single coils but somewhere around the 80’s we saw the growth in popularity of blending of humbuckers and single coil pickups in the same guita…

Do you like the ceramics you have in neck and middle? I also think it may be worth swapping unless you do, since you're doing wiring, you might as well do it all

Comment

I appreciate everyone's input. A few hours after I posted that, I decided to just shelf the CSPG idea and put a set of YJM's in the Strat. On that note though, is there a specific capacitor that I should consider in conjunction with those pickups? I assume the right pot is 250k and I'm considering getting the YJM volume pot but I'm not sure about capacitors.

Also...in the event that I don't like the bridge YJM, is would there be a problem with putting something like a JB Jr or Hot Rails in the bridge with the YJM in the middle and neck. I only ask because on the website it says that the YJM's DCR is 25k, much higher than either the others.

Thanks!

Comment

no problem at all. the yjm is the old style stack so the dcr doesnt translate to a ton of output. a hotrails is a much higher output pup. i pretty much always use a .02 or .015 cap in every guitar

Comment

.02 uf is what I usually use (sometimes a .015 or even a .010 uf). Quite often you'll see a .047 uf cap recommended with single coils, but my personal taste says that is way too much.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Today I got the idea to buy a Chapman ML 1 Traditional in black, stick the PG in the bridge and two other hum cancelling single coils in the mid/neck. I need a second guitar anyway and they're pretty reasonably priced at GC.

Comment

Working...
                X