Player series pickups VS SD hot or Quarter Pound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Player series pickups VS SD hot or Quarter Pound

I currently have the player series telecaster and am loving the pickups! However, I would like just a bit more juice and dont want to do HB or SCsized HB. I'm interested in the hot for tele set from seymor duncan and the quarter pound from SD as well. My issue is that I cant find any specs for the new player series pickups online to do comparisons with. Are they the same ol' MIMs loaded with A5s? Will upgrading to either of these sets produce noticeable output difference? Any experience with any of these pickups is helpful too!

Re: Player series pickups VS SD hot or Quarter Pound

I’ve not played them yet, but my understanding is that they are more vintage correct style pickups, ie real magnet pole pieces, etc. I’d imagine the Hots would be at least a little hotter, darker and midrangey than the stock, but the Quarter Pounders will definitely sound different. That’s a tone all it’s own, and either you want it or you don’t.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

If you're open to trying Stacks, the Stacks are amazing, and have no hum.
      Last edited by Synapsys; 09-17-2019, 03:38 AM.
      Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I say if you love the pickups as is, but need a boost, try the Pickup Booster.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

These are the Yosemite pickups?

Quarter Pound sounds great in a Tele, IMHO.
          The Artist Formerly Known As Drunken Bowling

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I say if you love the pickups as is, but need a boost, try the Pickup Booster.
            Agree.

Do you have a Tubescreamer or other OD? Turn the gain all the way down, tone neutral, and crank the level. If that gets you in the right direction, check out the pedal Mincer recommended.

Also, think about removing the tone control from the neck pickup. It’ll give your neck a little more juice, and let you dial in a clear amp tone for the neck, then use the tone to take the edge off the bridge.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

There were things I liked about the Quarter Pound, but ultimately it was just too different for me. I liked it on high gain settings, but that's not what I would be using my Tele for.

Comment

Originally posted by Crunchberries_McGlyn View Post
                These are the Yosemite pickups?

Quarter Pound sounds great in a Tele, IMHO.
                I believe Yosemite are in the American Performer (American Special replacement) and the VMod are the pickups in the American Professional (American Standard replacement). I’m not sure that the Player series has named pickups, but as I mention above, they seem to be upgraded from the previous MIM pickups.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                X