Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MagMic SA6 tone mod

Hello Forum!
    I've been a long time lurker and I learned a lot from you all.
    Now I have some specific questions to address to you wise people out there.
    I've had a MagMic for some months on my gigging acoustic and I couldn't be happier with the sound. I covered the sound hole and I have the mic on 100% all the time. The only issue that I've had so far is a certain degree of high pitched noise interference on the magnetic, with some lights and only in some venues, but doing a lot of live looping that could be a problem. So, being a chronic tinkerer, I opened the thing in search of inspiration, and there it came: what if I put a passive (electric style) tone control on the magnetic side, before the preamp? what do you think the right values for pot and cap could be?
    The idea behind it is that I will roll off the noisy high frequencies before the signal blends with the mic, which already brings a lot of sparkling highs. Now I'm doing it after, from my fishman external preamp, leaving me with a quite dull sound when I have this problem.
    Any idea is welcome!

Re: MagMic SA6 tone mod

welcome to the forum!

interesting, i dont have much interference when using the mag side at all. i think its a humcanceling design? as far as adding a tone control, i havent opened the pup up to see how the two circuits are joined but id assume a 500k and .01 cap might be a good start to just roll off the high end a bit

Comment

Hi there! that's a quick reply...thanks. I guess I'm very picky about noise. As said I do a lot of looping and an almost unnoticeable noise becomes pretty annoying at the fourth overdub...I don't have a clue on how to calculate the frequency of the roll off and unfortunately I don't have much time to experiment. Usually the noise is around 8k or more. I'd like to preserve as much of the sound of the magnetic even with the tone rolled off completely.
      I've also noticed that the wire coming from the pup are not shielded neither is the circuit board...
      Last edited by valmir; 09-17-2019, 03:44 PM.

Comment

you can probably use a very small cap then, .001 even maybe but never having tried this type of thing im just guessing. depending on how you wire this up, you may want to experiment a bit

Comment

Working...
        X