Split Tele Pearly Gates / 59 or tapped BG1400 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split Tele Pearly Gates / 59 or tapped BG1400 question

Dear All. Long time consumer of the forum. First post.

I have a Fender black top baritone telecaster modified with a Texas Customs Smooth Play Bridge to be more like a real tele. (It is a great marriage. Covers the humbucker hole fully.) My main problem is that I would like to use this guitar both for spaghetti western and metal (since I don't have a 7 string). Right now it has a custom made underwound tele pickup with longer than normal pole pieces (by Dreamsongs Pickups di Alberto Arcangeli) and it serves one of these two purposes great.

I was wondering, does anyone have any experience with the tele humbuckers? When split, are they like a normal (vintage) tele pickup? Most ideal situation would be to put one of these tele humbuckers in the bridge. Use it as a humbucker rocking out and split it when I need a vintage tele sound. But how close will I get (and which gets closer - say the custom shop perly gates with its alnico magnet sound more like a vintage pickup when split)? There is very little being said about what these pickups are like when split despite it being an obvious question (especially for tele): does it sound like a vintage tele when used in single coil mode?

Alternatively, I understand the BG1400 has a nice big fat sound that could rock pretty well. Can it be tapped in a way that approximates a lower output vintage tele sound?

I would like to hear people's thoughts. Thanks.

Re: Split Tele Pearly Gates / 59 or tapped BG1400 question

Welcome to the forum!

My first thought is that neither the PG or 59 sound like a Tele pickup split. I suppose the PG is closer, but it still sounds like a split humbucker to me and not a Tele pickup. The BG1400 can be made to be tapped, as it is a Custom Shop pickup. You just need to order it that way.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks. This is very good info (and exactly what I feared).

BG is a stacked coil. Maybe if it is wired to use just one of the coils, it would be closer to vintage. Again, info is scarce on what this pickup is like when its 4 conductor properties are fully exploited. It may even be possible that parallel wiring gets a very nice hum free result for said purpose (even with the stock bg).

Anyone with experience?

Comment

the bg1400 is hot but not as hot as the numbers suggest. its actually got a bit more output and high end when split

Comment

Working...
        X