I finally understand paf’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally understand paf’s

I have always stayed away from anything vintage output or below medium output really, other than a jazz, a2pro or paf pro in the neck I haven’t tried to much.

My current #1 has been a Les Paul with black winter set for awhile in fact. Recently I saw something though that caught my eye and gave it a shot.

I finally understand how good a low output humbucker can sound, while not being thin, piercing or one dimensional. I guess too many Gibson 57’s, 490’s and burstbuckers left a terrible taste in my mouth.

If you get a chance to try the 58/15 LT do it. It is the best pickup I have ever played, just tons of definition and clarity, and not thin sounding in the bridge. The split neck is amazing and regular neck is just right for thicker sounds. Add a clean boost and I’m right there with the output and saturation of the black winters, they thicken right up and still cut through.

Anyway here’s a pic:

I had no intention of keeping it stock, but they actually took the time to make these right. I doubt that anything short of the Duncan custom shop or bare Knuckle pickups are even gonna come close to these. I’m ready to sell off most of my Gibson Les Pauls because this is so much better, in every way.

It’s to bad they don’t sell them separately. I am interested in what the regular 58/15 non Low Turn version sounds like. I have seen used sets sold on reverb for crazy money, and they are worth it.

Re: I finally understand paf’s

I have the 85/15 set in a CE24, which is the same as the uncovered 58/15 (non-LT). I like them, but they're a little hot for my tastes. Ironically it's low gain tones that I like best about them. That guitar has totally replaced my SG as my light weight Les Paul alternative.

Every week I think about putting in my spare set of Whole Lotta Humbuckers, but so far I've decided to keep it stock, which is super rare for me. This will likely cost me a lot of money, as I'm sure I'll buy a whole new guitar just for those pickups.

The excellent split tones are more to do with the PRS wiring than the actual pickups though. Probably any good quality PAF would split just as well with that wiring.

By the way, what model is that? I don't think I've seen a double cut with dual volume/tone controls. I really prefer that control layout.

Comment

Originally posted by BluesIsBlood12 View Post

By the way, what model is that? I don't think I've seen a double cut with dual volume/tone controls. I really prefer that control layout.
      It’s the Mccarty 594. 24.594” scale length, they have it as a single and double cut as well as semi hollow body. It has a thicker body than some of the other ones too.

Comment

Beautiful guitar.

I love Paul's pickups. Even the G&B manufactured versions in my SE and S2 sound excellent. I swapped a few different things in for the SE HFS in my CU24, and always ended up going back to the stock pickup. My S2 Standard 22 has the #7 pickups, which are also excellent. Just scored a sweet deal on a real HFS/Vintage Bass set from a 90's Custom, so I'm looking forward to trying them in the S2.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
        X