Faux dual volumes (Attn: Artie!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faux dual volumes (Attn: Artie!!!)

I do a lot of rolling back the volume to get different gain levels, so I much prefer a master volume to each pickup having its own. However, a tone that I love on my Gibson is the middle (both humbuckers) with the neck pickup volume backed off slightly. It sounds like the bridge with a little more roundness.

I've been thinking of a way to emulate this in my PRS guitars, which are master volume, master push/pull coil split tone, 3 way blade.

My initial idea is adding a mini switch that puts a resistor in series with the neck pickup's hot. Whatever value is the same as my volume knob at like 9 or so. Something tells me that the tone I'm after has to do with having two volume knobs working together, and not just the neck output being a little less.

Any ideas? I'd prefer if it was on a separate switch so the normal middle position was still available, but I'm fine if it's a permanent middle setting, too.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Faux dual volumes (Attn: Artie!!!)

You'd probably want a voltage divider, (2 resistors), rather than just one in series. That will emulate perfectly both the output drop and load of the 2nd pot. So, you'd want to measure from center lug to both ends , and write down both resistances. I can easily do the diagram after that. Another option would be to just put a small trim-pot on a switch so that you could tweak it to taste at any time. Again, fairly simple.

Comment

"center lug to both ends."

Which ends are we speaking of?
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

When you get the volume pot to the exact place you want it, measure from the center lug to each outside lug of the pot. Make sure it has nothing connected to it when you do this. That way, you know the resistance above and below the wiper. Effectively, two resistors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pot-to-resistors.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	5817097

To be clear, the pot must be connected as normal. Tweak it. Then carefully disconnect it without moving it's shaft.
        Last edited by ArtieToo; 09-23-2019, 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Got it.

Have a set of real PRS pickups on the way, so I'll do this when I install them. Thanks again!

Comment

No prob. Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Absolutely. Expecting the new HFS/VB pickups later this week, so should have it done by about this time next week.

Comment

There's concentric pots that have two dials on one.

Comment

Originally posted by singlecutarmy View Post
                  There's concentric pots that have two dials on one.
                  I thought about that, but I really only want them out of balance in the middle. Otherwise, I’m rolling the volume up and down like crazy.

Comment

The master volume wiring is different from Gibson wiring, because the selector switch connects the pickups directly in parrallel no matter where the volume control is set. It changes the resonance of the pickups in middle position and should result in brighter tones. On top of that is the PRS treble bleed cap and possibly brighter resonance of the guitar itself. Due to these things I suggest to try the pickups with the stock PRS wiring as a baseline test. Then you can confirm if shortcomings exist or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X