Pegasus & Sentient vs. Ibanez Dyna Mix 10 switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pegasus & Sentient vs. Ibanez Dyna Mix 10 switch

This is my first post here, please be gentle.

I am not a complete noob when it comes to (guitar) electronics but this isn't my day-job either. With that said, I have this dilemma regarding an SD Pegasus & Sentient set wired through an Ibanez Dyna Mix 10 switch.

These are the standard combinations on an Ibanez guitar featuring Dyna Mix 10:

1a: bridge humbucker
    2a: bridge "down" coil + neck "up" coil
    3a: bridge humbucker + neck humbucker
    4a: bridge "up" coil + neck "down" coil
    5a: neck humbucker

1b: bridge power tap
    2b: bridge "down" coil
    3b: bridge power tap + neck power tap
    4b: neck "down" coil
    5b: neck power tap

I assume that "humbucker" means two coils in RWRP configuration. With SD colors, that would be "down" coil start as Green, end as Red, connected to "up" coil start as White and end as Black. I also assume that in position 2 and 4 without power tap, the two pickups will operate as one humbucker, at least on an Ibanez AZ series HH guitar. For this to be true, the magnetic polarity would have to inverted between the two pickups. So if the bridge humbucker is North/South, the neck should be South/North. So in position 2, neck South + bridge North would operate as humbucker, and in position 4, neck North + bridge South would also. However, the adjustable polepieces in the SD Hiperion are "up" on the neck, and "down" on the bridge, and according to SD, on SD humbuckers the adjustable polepieces ALWAYS indicate South.

The pickups I'm replacing (Ibanez Prestige V77 & V87) are inverted polarity, I checked. They are not the original pickups in my cheap Ibanez GRX 720 though, so again, I'm not sure if that means anything. What I mean is that on the V77, the adjustable polepiece is the same polarity as the non-adjustable polepiece on the V87, and vice versa. On the neck pickup, the adjustable polepieces are "up", and on the bridge, they are "down". So "up" and "up" are both North(?), and "down" and "down" are both South(?). On a Dyna Mix 10, if my observations and assumptions are all true, this would create an RWRP configuration in position 2 and 4, since both would include one North and one South coil.

However, the SD Pegasus & Sentient pair is different, the polepieces are the same polarity between the two of them, so the two outer coils would be South and South, and the inner ones North and North. Therefore, position 2 and 4 would not be RWRP.

I don't know how the SD Hiperion pups are configured in an Ibanez AZ - are they following the SD tradition of polepiece being south, or the Ibanez tradition (?) of inner and outer pairs being of opposite magnetic polarity.

When I first wired up my SD pups, I followed this picture, but the results were not optimal.

A lot of the positions were noisy, and the neck-humbucker-only position was pretty much silent. I assume that the coils are very evenly wound and they were in phase so they completely canceled each other out.

Then I disconnected the neck pup and reconnected it in a fashion that I - again - assume would accommodate for the polarity of the SD pups.

In my wiring, both bridge and neck pups connect to the Dyna Mix 10 solder points like this:

upper hot: Black
    upper cold: White
    lower hot: Red
    upper cold: Green
    GND: bare

The humming is gone when in HB positions, and even the SC positions seem to be less humming. I checked every position by tapping the coils with a screwdriver, and everything follows the Ibanez legend, with one notable exception, but this was actually my intention. In my wiring, in position 2, instead of the outer coils, it is the "down" coils that are connected; and in position 4, instead of the inner coils, the "up" coils are connected. This results in a South + North combination, presumably reverse wired, too.

So is this OK? I see one potential issue with my solution - position 2 and 4 will produce almost the same sound? I guess they are the two closest sounding positions anyway, and this way they are even closer. I could rotate the neck pickup 180 degrees, so position 2 and 4 would return to outer coils / inner coils but... Would it not work against the reverse winding and reintroduce the hum? Also, with the power tap switch engaged, in positions 3, 4, and 5, the neck pup's "strong" (or singled out) coil would be even closer to the neck. Which may be a good thing or a bad thing. Finally, the Seymour Duncan engraving would be upside down, too. Alternatively, I could swap the neck pup upper and lower wires:

upper hot: Red
    upper cold: Green
    lower hot: Black
    upper cold: White
    GND: bare

This would be closer to the wiring shown on the Reverb photo, except mine would keep the cold/hot designations, and not reverse them.

Anyway, I apologize for the long post and would welcome any advice / insight / recommendation, critique.

Re: Pegasus & Sentient vs. Ibanez Dyna Mix 10 switch

Flip one of the magnets around. In the end, I don’t think it matters which humbucker, but I did this with my bridge one.

2 and 4 produce slightly different tones. It’s the distance and polepiece type that help change it.

It seems like you’re trying to get close to the Hyperions huh?

Comment

I tried to follow your advice, but I could not get the magnet out. I removed the pup, removed the black tape, the four Phillips screws, and the adjustable polepieces. After this I was able to pull apart the top and bottom halves, but the magnet would not move at all. I'm not sure if is just the magnetic force, or if it is actually glued? I tried to push it from the side where the wires are forming a wax blob, because I'm sure it would have been impossible to push toward that direction, the wires would be in the way for the magnet to come out that way.

I agree with what you said about 2 & 4, and in my current setup, 2 combines bridge adjustable "down" with neck non-adjustable "down" while 4 combines bridge non-adjustable "up" with neck adjustable "up". So this seems to be counter-productive as the distance difference is less pronounced and the pole types are mixed. Since I wasn't able to flip the magnet, maybe I'll try flipping the neck pup.

As for your perceived goal to get close to the Hyperions - that would be nice, but truth is, it wasn't anything conscious on my part. I got the pups second hand (still unopened) and later got the Dyna Mix 10 at a store where the clerk suggested I tried that over the superswitch I was originally looking for. I did read about the AZ / Hyperion sometime later, and when I read about the similarity between the Hyperions and the Sentient Pegasus, and I was like, man, is the Force guiding my actions or what? So no, I'm not doing this for any particular reason, other than trying to get into fixing / modifying guitars as a hobby. I don't even play the guitar "properly", I tune them in perfect fours, i.e. EADGCF or BEADGCF (7 string) because I'm a bass player LOL.

Comment

I have seen cases where the magnet was glued in. I've also seen cases where the amount of wax makes the magnet feel like it is glued in. You shouldn't have to remove the adjustable poles, though (unless the pickup is a weird design).
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
        X