banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tele neck cover on, neck cover off review.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele neck cover on, neck cover off review.

I recently purchased and installed an SD STR-1 tele Neck pickup and installed it in a homebrew Tele I built. The classic telecaster curse became a reality for me; the neck pickup is just so dull, dark and low in output in comparison to the bridge pickup. I could tell I was going to like the pickup if it were just brighter, the output difference I could live with. I have never really owned a Tele with vintage pickups, so the reality of the difference in the positions was new to me. I had known that removing the covers could help gain some output and brighten up the pickups, but left your coils exposed. I do a fair amount of bending and have stuck strings on pickups before, so I wasn't looking to have that happen to me anymore. I had also known that nickel silver covers reduced the highs less than brass and was another option. I really didn't want to take a chance on replacing the brass covers on the pickups with a nickel silver cover to have it not be bright enough still, so I opted for nickel silver covers that have the center removed to allow the pole pieces to protrude. This was a wise choice I feel! The pickups went from dull, dark and quiet to being a perfect match to my bridge pickup! The neck was now bright and lively and its output was now comparable to the bridge.

If you want to get a more balanced and clearer sounding Tele neck pickup sound, I highly suggest nickel-silver covers with the open center. They are very cheap and does the trick. If you are worried about removing the original pickup cover, I say you really shouldn't be. Simply remove the ground wire from the cover and wick up as much of the leftover solder you can. Bend the tabs out carefully and heat the cover up a little by letting the soldering iron set on one of the tabs for a moment melting the wax. Then carefully pry, push and pull the old cover off. Once removed, collect any wax that is left over you want to recycle. Replace the new cover over the pickups and bend the tabs. Attach the ground wire to the cover and re-install the pickup. Viola, you have a brighter and hotter output Tele neck pickup. Be mindful when removing the covers of the bobbins and the pickup coil leads. Don't pry too hard and don't use implements that could cut or damage the coil wires and bobbins. A little heat will help soften the wax which should ease in the removal of the cover. To melt the old wax back into the pickup simply heat the cover and flow any old wax you want to recycle into the coil. Much easier than I thought it would be to do.

Re: Tele neck cover on, neck cover off review.

thanks for the review/instructions!
    i have a dimarzio Twangking with a nickelsilver cover which is very bright. i am not sure though i prefer the additional brightness to my stock Fender ones.

i want to try the the SD STR-1 but the support still didn't answer my Question.
    Maybe you can answer that question:

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
      . . . so I opted for nickel silver covers that have the center removed to allow the pole pieces to protrude.
      Sweet. Pics?

Comment

ToneFiddler, I answered your query on your thread but will follow up here as well. The poles are not staggered, and it is potted, but in a weird way, read your thread.

I didn't take any pics, but they look exactly like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mojo-Pickups-Open-T.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	5817121

Comment

evan had a tele with a neck pup like that from the cs. it was nice, liked it much more than a typical tele neck pup

Comment

Thanks for the review! I don't think I've ever seen a comparison like this, so it is sure to help a lot of people.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Great review. The results you got are what would logically be expected. Glad to see some practical confirmation. Besides, even if it didn't change the sound, just the very sweet looks would make it all worth while.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Another way to brighten a Tele neck and have a little more umph is don’t have any tone control on it, let it go straight out to the jack.

The oldest teles didn’t have a tone control at all, but had a blend control to mix the neck with the bridge. They had twang and beef and brightness, as long as you avoided the “dark circuit” RC network switch position.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
                  I recently purchased and installed an SD STR-1 tele Neck pickup and installed it in a homebrew Tele I built. The classic telecaster curse became a reality for me; the neck pickup is just so dull, dark and low in output in comparison to the bridge pickup. I could tell I was going to like the pickup if it were just brighter, the output difference I could live with. I have never really owned a Tele with vintage pickups, so the reality of the difference in the positions was new to me. I had known that removing the covers could help gain some output and brighten up the pickups, but left your coils exposed. I do a fair amount of bending and have stuck strings on pickups before, so I wasn't looking to have that happen to me anymore. I had also known that nickel silver covers reduced the highs less than brass and was another option. I really didn't want to take a chance on replacing the brass covers on the pickups with a nickel silver cover to have it not be bright enough still, so I opted for nickel silver covers that have the center removed to allow the pole pieces to protrude. This was a wise choice I feel! The pickups went from dull, dark and quiet to being a perfect match to my bridge pickup! The neck was now bright and lively and its output was now comparable to the bridge.

If you want to get a more balanced and clearer sounding Tele neck pickup sound, I highly suggest nickel-silver covers with the open center. They are very cheap and does the trick. If you are worried about removing the original pickup cover, I say you really shouldn't be. Simply remove the ground wire from the cover and wick up as much of the leftover solder you can. Bend the tabs out carefully and heat the cover up a little by letting the soldering iron set on one of the tabs for a moment melting the wax. Then carefully pry, push and pull the old cover off. Once removed, collect any wax that is left over you want to recycle. Replace the new cover over the pickups and bend the tabs. Attach the ground wire to the cover and re-install the pickup. Viola, you have a brighter and hotter output Tele neck pickup. Be mindful when removing the covers of the bobbins and the pickup coil leads. Don't pry too hard and don't use implements that could cut or damage the coil wires and bobbins. A little heat will help soften the wax which should ease in the removal of the cover. To melt the old wax back into the pickup simply heat the cover and flow any old wax you want to recycle into the coil. Much easier than I thought it would be to do.
                  MAIN MESSAGE: glad to see that you're happy with your mod. Nothing else counts! :-)

SIDE NOTE with a few thoughts to share: the change that you notice is due to the change of material (from brass to nickel silver) much more than to the open top.

A cover with an open top still generates enough Foucault currents to flatten the brightness. It's explained in this doc (pages 13 and 14): http://kenwillmott.com/blog/wp-conte...r_Geometry.pdf

[The author being an engineer named Ken Wilmott; I do'nt know him personally but his findings are familiar to me, since some lab experiments done here gave exactly the same results.]

For someone who wants maximum brightness, the loop formed by a metal cover must be cut vertically on one side, as shown pages 16-17 in the doc above. It's ugly as hell but it would be a good way to go a step further in tonal clarity. :-))

Conversely, an open top metal cover forming a full loop is actually a nice way to sweeten a bit the tone thanks to Foucault currents. I've done it again recently with a Fender CS69 and it worked as usual.

Oh, and... the Fender Twisted Tele neck PU is really something to consider for those who want a traditional look but a more alive sound: it has a taller coil than regular Tele neck PU's and is wound with AWG42 wire, so it sounds gorgeously Straty, with transparent mids and piano like bass IME/ IMHO. :-)

I wish you all a nice day, fellow members.
                  Last edited by freefrog; 09-28-2019, 03:22 AM.
                  Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

well out of curiosity i removed the brass cover of my str-1, too and replaced it with a nickel silver cover.
                    it’s indeed brighter now (without the tone and in that guitar it was bright enough already) so i wired the tone control back on. overall i like it better with the new cover. first of because it’s easy to remove the highs and with distortion it’s less grainy/raspy. the grid is finer so too speak which i always prefer.
                    now it’s a real keeper!
                    i used a dry blower to remove the cover with all that wax
                    Attached Files

Comment

I too am a huge fan of the Twisted Tele. Not quite full-on Strat neck tone (placement matters too) but a big step in that direction.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I was told once that simply cutting the ground wire to the cover of a Tele neck can make it sound a bit brighter.
                        Sounded like it might be an easy hack, maybe a halfway point tonewise compared to replacing or removing.

Has anybody tried this?
                        Is it useful advice, or is it just bunk?
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

A cover doesn't need to be grounded to generate Foucault currents. It just needs to form a closed loop around the coil. It's shown by Ken Wilmott in the doc shared above. Ungrounding a cover might add noise but wouldn't solve eddy currents (been there, done that: ungrounded cover = more HF noise IME). It would diminish a wee bit stray capacitance, though. Alex Kenis evokes the shield capacitance of grounded covers here : https://alexkenis.wordpress.com/2016...one-and-noise/

FWIW.
                          Last edited by freefrog; 04-27-2021, 11:18 PM.
                          Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Working...
                          X