banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What pot values do I need for these active bass pickups/preamp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pot values do I need for these active bass pickups/preamp?

Hey guys, I've got this Lakland 5-string active bass and pretty much all of the pots are old and noisey and I'm done spraying them and I'd like to just replace them all, but I'm not sure which pot values I need.
    In around 2005 I had Seymour Duncan Basslines active soapbars (2) installed along w/ a Seymour Duncan active preamp. It was a while ago but I think the pickups are ASB-5 maybe, but I don't recall which Seymour Duncan active preamp this is (and it doesn't say anywhere that I can see), though I believe it's an STC something or other.
    There's five pots total and they're all mini pots: a push/pull volume knob w/ a slap contour when you pull the knob up, a pickup blend knob w/ center detent, and bass, mid and treble pots. In the back cavity I can see the bass and treble pots say "B100k" on them, but the mid pot says nothing.. is it safe to assume it's also B100k?

But what values are the push/pull pot and the blend pot? Again these are active Seymour Duncan Basslines pickups and STC preamp. Thanks!

Re: What pot values do I need for these active bass pickups/preamp?

Check the mystery pot by disconnecting it and setting your multimeter to 200k or 2m in Ohms of resistance. You want to check the outer 2 lugs. Active preamps are very specific. I remember putting a really early active preamp concept together based on the EHX screaming bird and going from 250k which the circuit required to 500k didn't do anything for me. This was 6 months ago but it may have been an on/off switch by then. The only reason I went 500k is because I always have a ton of them.

with passive pickups we can be adventurous with pots but actives we can't.

CAIG DeoxIT on stewmac website is one everyone seems to recommend. It's quite expensive compared to a can of air you can get away with on fairly new guitars but it beats buying 3 or more name brand pots.

if you're replacing the pots be sure to get the right shaft length to stick through the guitar and shaft diameter and you're set.

Comment

Thanks man, yeah I guess I'll have to buy a meter. But the pots are in post down as usual, and the post part is often where the value is printed so I guess I'll have to unscrew the pots and turn them over and see. Yeah have Deoxit it they always get noisey again. In fact, the volume pot is actually causing a low level flubby saturation when I play a note which is especially heard as the note trails off, and fiddling w/ the knob and/or spraying it makes it go away for awhile.

Comment

I can't talk about that specific model, but IME, all active circuits I've seen used Audio taper, 25k pots.

/Peter
        Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
        Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Working...
        X