Re: The best cap material for tone pot

Yeah, I know I couldn't hear that.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
      Here for your convinience:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102534[/ATTACH]

All labeled 22nf caps, there are caps of same real value and caps of different real value. That's not important: Notice how the lines exactly line up based on only the real value of each cap.

No difference in different caps otherwise.

I'm out.

You forget one crucial element: these frequency response test are done with simple sinuswave signals (for ease of measuring).

A real guitar signal, even from a single note, and certainly from chords, is a very complex combination of harmonics. So it's just comparing apples with ... baskets of apples, really.

Furthermore, these frequency response test are done rather slowly, measuring the response with each frequency. It says nothing about how the cap copes with transients, which I assume may vary across the spectrum (it would be nice to see graphs of that). So if the cap is slow to pick up transients, causing a minimal delay in letting the signal through (because of dielectric resistance), it creates a minimal phase shift pertaining only to a certain frequency band, all of which would color the sound of a complex musical signal. Also the resistance of the dielectric could theoretically produce its own harmonics (it would be nice to see graphs of that, too). There would be no such problems with a simple sinoidal signal.

If you make music like Kraftwerk, and are looking for a band name, here it is: "Sinoidal Signal".
      Last edited by WDeeGee; 12-17-2019, 04:30 PM.

Comment

A
        Originally posted by Jacew View Post
        Here for your convinience:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102534[/ATTACH]

All labeled 22nf caps, there are caps of same real value and caps of different real value. That's not important: Notice how the lines exactly line up based on only the real value of each cap.

No difference in different caps otherwise.

I'm out.
        You be nailed it... Thanks for taking the time to document this.

There will always be buyers for gold tipped patch cords and Gibson bumblebees (real and fake) because the placebo effect is very real.

But i feel so much better when we can use our customers $ on the things that really make a difference (like pups).

Funny side bar, used to work in a studio with a non working SSL strip... We named one of the pots the sweetener knob and when wannabe producers wanted a bit more of some esoteric undescribable, we would turn it in very small increments until they were happy with the new sound

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
        What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

That's called a false dichotomy. Not spending 2 cents on a cap doesn't mean you're automatically spending $200 on some vintage hype. I think I got a pair of pios for like $10. And give it a rest with the placebo effect. If you don't care then good for you.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
            That's called a false dichotomy. Not spending 2 cents on a cap doesn't mean you're automatically spending $200 on some vintage hype. I think I got a pair of pios for like $10. And give it a rest with the placebo effect. If you don't care then good for you.
            Not a good example. 10$ for a cap is at least 40 times more money than you should be spending. That's absolutely too much! Like spending 30$ for 'tone screws' to hold your pickup rings in place when 5 cent hardware store specials will work fine.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Ok why are you telling me what I need to get?
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                Clint, I didn't mean for this to come off as anything personal. The o p asked about caps and their differences and research and I haven't seen any research that backs up any difference in caps as long as they're specs are exactly the same. Placebo seems like the most likely reason, but I'm totally open to any research that hasn't been contrived to support black hat marketing.

Frankly, I think deep down we all know it's just like pickups and everything else. Every once in awhile the best of the best of the best all gets combined into one instrument. A coil that's a little bit underwound, a cap that's a bit off spec, maple that's a little bit denser than average... whatever.

So we all try to replicate that magic formula, but most of the time we don't know every factor and measurement and and pseudo-science jumps to the forefront... Sometimes it is an honest attempt to quantify without all of the data..but we can't deny that there are gold plated cables that are pitched as magical... caveat emptor

I know we will never turn this into pure science and experimentation is the part that I like the most. And if it sounds good and the customer is happy it really doesn't matter how we got there...

So I'm guessing we're probably on the same page 99% of the time.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
                What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

On the first guitar I modded
                  I used a paper in oil cap
                  And other fancy nonsense
                  It sounds great no doubt

But since then I have use the cheap ceramic ones I can get a hundred of for $2

Those also sound great

No one else can listen to any of my guitars and tell which one has the PIO cap
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Are we even STILL discussing this?

It's like how changing from tophat knobs to speed knobs changes the entire tone of the guitar making it sound so dark that you ultimately have to replace the pickups and go with 1 meg vol pots to compensate.

Hey guys, give Clint a break. Not all of us can hear this difference in knobs, but Clint actually CAN. And it's NOT a placebo effect.
                    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 12-18-2019, 12:40 PM.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

WAT

That's called a straw man by the way.
                      Last edited by Clint 55; 12-18-2019, 12:05 PM.
                      I bought them for you

Comment

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

You'll encounter disagreement if you try to claim unequivocally that others aren't in control of their senses.
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by grumptruck
                            Mallory or Orange drop. Don't give a **** about the material just the values and tolerances.

.001 is my holy grail.
                            .001?!
                            Are you sure about that? In what unit of measurement...nanofarads, microfarads, ..., ?

Maybe you meant .010 uf?
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              .001?!
                              Are you sure about that? In what unit of measurement...nanofarads, microfarads, ..., ?

Maybe you meant .010 uf?
                              0.010 is pretty subtle. Not sure I'd hear much difference at all with 0.001.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

if i was using a .001 cap, i wouldnt care about material either

Comment

Working...
                                X