Page Hamilton/Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page Hamilton/Helmet

I bet that anybody who knows the answer to this find the title of the thread redundant Anybody know what pup Page used for Meantime? I had a picture of him on my wall from Hit Parader when I was like 13, and remember he had a pinkish/purple guitar (ESP) and it had a blue/red zebra pickup, probably a DiMarzio.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Page Hamilton/Helmet

The only thing I have ever read about it was that it was a "custom dimarzio humbucker", I think he uses a ESP Horizon too...
    "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Comment

I know for sure he uses DiMarzios...after a few albums he started haveing Steve Blutcher (the DiMarzio version of MJ, but he only works for celebs) make his stuff, but as far as I know in the old days it was a Tine Zone, and his custom stuff is based on the Tone Zone, but I am not 100% sure of that.
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I just emailed the DiMarzio techs to see if they'll spill the beans. Thanks Christian, I was kind of hoping the Tone Zone would come up.

Doesn't that seem kinda sh*tty that the DiMarzio guy only winds for famous people? Seems like our money should be just as good as theirs.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
          I just emailed the DiMarzio techs to see if they'll spill the beans. Thanks Christian, I was kind of hoping the Tone Zone would come up.

Doesn't that seem kinda sh*tty that the DiMarzio guy only winds for famous people? Seems like our money should be just as good as theirs.
          Dweezil Zappa used to use Custom wound DiMarzios, and I contacted DiMarzio to a, get the scoop, and b, but one of them for my self...they put me through to Steve, and his first question was "what label are yo on" as soon as he found out that I did not have a recording contract the phone conversation was over!
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
            as soon as he found out that I did not have a recording contract the phone conversation was over!
            That is pretty crappy!?
            "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Comment

It's a shame I'm so fond of the Helmet tone (and that I just found out Mike Hickey from Carcass used a DiMarzio)

Comment

It's a shame I'm so fond of the Helmet tone (and that I just found out Mike Hickey from Carcass used a DiMarzio)
                Though Hickey never recorded a single note with them.......As far as I know he was a hired gun for touring.

Comment

I just got an email back from the DiMarzio tech, and it turns out Page uses an F-spaced Air Zone.

Comment

I just got an email back from the DiMarzio tech, and it turns out Page uses an F-spaced Air Zone.

ok...I am DiMarzio challenged, is that close to a tone zone?

I can tell you this, if it matters and/or helps I saw Helmet in 1995 and page was playing ESP's through Kolbe modded Marshall JCM 800's and Orange cabs with EV's in them and I hate to say it...but he had a sh!tty tone...it was just real fuzzy and real bassy...no real defination at all. I know that was only one show but...

Comment

IIRC the air zone is the same tonally as the tone zone. It also has the same magnet and the output is similar on each pickup.
                      Constantly wanting new gear...

Comment

It's basically the same thing, but like all the "air" pickups, there's a gap between the magnet & coils. The DiMarzio site says the Air Zone was introduced in '95 (something I wish Duncan did), so I'm gonna assume Meantime is either a Tone Zone, or the Air Zone was his custom pickup at the time.

Hey Christian, you didn't happen to see Helmet with Korn did you?

Comment

It's basically the same thing, but like all the "air" pickups, there's a gap between the magnet & coils. The DiMarzio site says the Air Zone was introduced in '95 (something I wish Duncan did), so I'm gonna assume Meantime is either a Tone Zone, or the Air Zone was his custom pickup at the time.

Hey Christian, you didn't happen to see Helmet with Korn did you?

No...when I saw Helmet they are the headliner, and The Melvins were opening up, and I really went to see the Melvins!

JOIN THE MELVINS ARMY!
                          Last edited by the guy who invented fire; 03-20-2005, 03:00 PM.

Comment

I can tell you this, if it matters and/or helps I saw Helmet in 1995 and page was playing ESP's through Kolbe modded Marshall JCM 800's and Orange cabs with EV's in them and I hate to say it...but he had a sh!tty tone...it was just real fuzzy and real bassy...no real defination at all. I know that was only one show but...
                            real fuzzy and bassy? no definition? sounds perfect to me!

wicked band, so underrated too.
                            "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuss_Rock
                              wicked band, so underrated too.
                              I saw them opening for Korn, in '96 I think. I was like 16 or 17, and some dumbass 12 year old kid sat behind me, talking about how much Helmet sucked the whole time.

Comment

Working...
                              X