good pickups for a Red Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good pickups for a Red Bear

hey, i've got a question regarding pick-up choice for a Red Bear MK 60 head. for those who may not have heard of them, they're a russian handwired tube head, discontinued in the 90's, and distrobuted by gibson. Currently i have an epiphone sg with a SD alnico 2 pro in the bridge, and basically it sounds like total ass. however, a friend of mine has a similar guitar, but with a SD custom custom, and the same head, and it sounds increadible through both of our heads! basically its an extreamly picky head, sounds alot like a JCM 800, but a little creamier if you will... basically i'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for which type of pickup will get me a warm, more mid-heavy sound. the amp doesn't like alot of high's, as it tends to result in noisy, shrill and just plain irritating tones. anyways, if anyone has heard this amp, it'd be a great help, or just some general pickups to try out that have a thick mid-range. thanks!

and just for fun, here's a red bear on ebay, same as mine, if any of you are curious about the head:

Re: good pickups for a Red Bear

Originally posted by xMARKx
    hey, i've got a question regarding pick-up choice for a Red Bear MK 60 head. for those who may not have heard of them, they're a russian handwired tube head, discontinued in the 90's, and distrobuted by gibson. Currently i have an epiphone sg with a SD alnico 2 pro in the bridge, and basically it sounds like total ass. however, a friend of mine has a similar guitar, but with a SD custom custom, and the same head, and it sounds increadible through both of our heads! basically its an extreamly picky head, sounds alot like a JCM 800, but a little creamier if you will... basically i'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for which type of pickup will get me a warm, more mid-heavy sound. the amp doesn't like alot of high's, as it tends to result in noisy, shrill and just plain irritating tones. anyways, if anyone has heard this amp, it'd be a great help, or just some general pickups to try out that have a thick mid-range. thanks!

and just for fun, here's a red bear on ebay, same as mine, if any of you are curious about the head:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

If the amp liked the CC I would say get a CC...It is a great smooth sounding pickup and is pretty heavy on the mids!

Welcome to the forum
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

BTW...you said handwored...I thought those amps had a PC Board, do they?
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

hey, they have do have a board, but its not a printed circuit board. basically just a piece of plastic or whatever they're made out of to hold some of the components, which are all hand soldered into place. but yeah, no PCB's in the amp, which proved to be a good thing, because i had to get it rewired for 12AX7's, because i couldn't buy the original tubes in north america anymore, and it made the mod alot cheaper.

Comment

hey, they have do have a board, but its not a printed circuit board. basically just a piece of plastic or whatever they're made out of to hold some of the components, which are all hand soldered into place. but yeah, no PCB's in the amp, which proved to be a good thing, because i had to get it rewired for 12AX7's, because i couldn't buy the original tubes in north america anymore, and it made the mod alot cheaper.

what are the original tubes???

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
            what are the original tubes???
            A rediculously obscure tube known as the 6n2p-ev/6h2n-eb (which only makes me want it more ).

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
              A rediculously obscure tube known as the 6n2p-ev/6h2n-eb (which only makes me want it more ).

http://www.angelfire.com/ok2/joseph3...ear/index.html

WTF! Have you ever played one...there is one here in town and I passed on it for a very low price, I was under the impression that they are not ver good amps?!?

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                Have you ever played one...
                Unfortunately, no.

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
                  Unfortunately, no.

im gonna go back this week and try tha one out...maybe ill bring it home!

Comment

man, if you have the right guitar, the amp just HAULS ass. serious tone machine! unfortunetly (as i have said before) i have found it to be very picky, and even with a gibson sg i had mediocre sounds at best. but yeah, with the right setup, the amp is totally awesome, and definetly worth your money

Comment

man, if you have the right guitar, the amp just HAULS ass. serious tone machine! unfortunetly (as i have said before) i have found it to be very picky, and even with a gibson sg i had mediocre sounds at best. but yeah, with the right setup, the amp is totally awesome, and definetly worth your money

what do they go for...what is a good price?

Comment

well, i payed around 450 canadian i believe... and it didn't have any tolex or the weird carpet stuff they usually have on them, it was just bare wood, and the grills were falling off, haha, basically it was in bad shape when it comes to the appearance. a good price i'd say is around 300-400 US. theres on on ebay right now for 299 US, no bids yet, less than two days, same head as mine. thats a great price i'd say. however, if you don't want to search for the original pre-amp tubes when it comes time to replace them, you'll have to re-wire the amp which can be expensive. either way, paying 300 bucks for a head capable of great sound is an awesome investment if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
                        X