Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitors, Resistors and Wagner Darkbursts

To all ~

I've posted this on a few other Forums and wanted to make sure this made it into the system. I had a small "Tonefest" at my home today since my wife is out of town and I'm free to jam all hours of the day...so this is what I did.

1. Resistors and Capacitors / Treble Bleed Mod:
    I ordered a 100K and 200K Resistor from Antique Electric Supply with the intention of wiring the Treble Bleed Mod on my Neck Pickup and reducing the Ohm readout of my bridge Volume Pot by either 100K or 200K.

Results: I tried the Treble Bleed Mod on my Darkburst Neck with the following combinations: 100K Res. / .001 Orange Drop; 200K Resis. / .001 Orange Drop; 100K Resis. / .002 Orange Drop; 200K Resis. / .002 Orange Drop.

Honestly, I didn't really care for any of the combinations. I found that the mod worked best when you left out the resistor, altogether. But even then, it cut out the Bass too much, too quickly. I didn't care for it and left the wiring as standard 50's style. I'm not sure what else to say other than it just wasn't my cup of tea. I believe that I would like it on a Strat, though, so I'll have to try it with my Clapton.

Now, adding only the 200K Resistor across the bridge Volume Pot was a different story. I loved what it did for the basic tone of the bridge pickup because it took down the brightness a smidge (volume and tone pot on 10) and provided me a bit more usuable Taper for rolling back the volume under low and high-gain conditions.

2. Pickup Height Adjustments:
    For those with decently made pickups, one can achieve great variance in tone by simply raising/lowering the height of the pickup and adjustable screws. I think this is any area of adjustment that most of us (amateur techs) forget about when we install new pickups.

For example, I had my Wagner Darkbursts installed last week and immediately fell in love with the neck pickup. It has so much life, clarity and improved EQ that I didn't know what to say when I first starting playing through my Vibrolux. However, true to form, Jim's Darkburst Bridge also has lots of clarity and EQ and was rather bright in my guitar (which is odd because my guitar is naturally dark), and I no longer had a usuable neck and bridge pickup combination with all controls on 10. However, I knew I could significantly reduce the brightness of the bridge pickup by lowering the screws on the G,B & E strings "flush" with the pickup. In turn, I could also increase the brightness of the neck pickup by increasing the height of the screws on the D,G,B & E strings. The results were great and I am now pretty happy with the controls on 10.

3. Wagner Darkbursts:
    These are phenomenal pickups and have terrific string-to-string definition and clarity. The neck pickup is to die for and has some of the best ABB vibe I've ever heard. It holds up great under low/med/high gain conditions and can do ****ey, Duane and Warren with basic amp/pedal adjustments. The bridge pickup is great, too, but could stand to be a bit less bright. It does a good "One Way Out" and "Statesboro Blues" impersonation under high-gain, so I was rather pleased with its tone and output even though she is brighter than I like.[/INDENT]

Conclusion:
    I had a wonderful day fiddling with all of these mods/adjustments/etc. and am very pleased with how well alligator clips work for trying out different components and values. If I had to do it all over again I would install only a neck and bridge volume pot and then Alligator clip all the other components to find the perfect fit for all of these items. Using the clips is so simple, easy and efficient.

Anyway, thanks for reading and let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to answer them! :jim

Very Best Regards,
    Lee Moore
    Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Re: Capacitors, Resistors and Wagner Darkbursts

Originally posted by Lee_M.
    3. Wagner Darkbursts:
    These are phenomenal pickups and have terrific string-to-string definition and clarity. The neck pickup is to die for and has some of the best ABB vibe I've ever heard. It holds up great under low/med/high gain conditions and can do ****ey, Duane and Warren with basic amp/pedal adjustments. The bridge pickup is great, too, but could stand to be a bit less bright. It does a good "One Way Out" and "Statesboro Blues" impersonation under high-gain, so I was rather pleased with its tone and output even though she is brighter than I like.[/INDENT]

Lee Moore

Finally, someone besides me "gets it" . I've been ranting and raving about these pickups (I have a Dark Burst bridge in my Grosh) for ages and I'm glad someone besides me thinks they're all that and a bag of chips
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I feel so stupid for never trying a resistor across the pot on a bright bridge pickup!
      I agree with you about caps. I've gotten so accustomed to being able to warm up my sound by backing off the volume that it's hard to get used to the brighter roll-off.
      I'm not even sure if I dig the Fralin blender pot, since mixing in the neck on a strat makes the tone a tad flabby. Some people swear by it, tho.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
        I feel so stupid for never trying a resistor across the pot on a bright bridge pickup!
        I agree with you about caps. I've gotten so accustomed to being able to warm up my sound by backing off the volume that it's hard to get used to the brighter roll-off.
        I'm not even sure if I dig the Fralin blender pot, since mixing in the neck on a strat makes the tone a tad flabby. Some people swear by it, tho.
        1. The only reason I tried it is because I read a long post on the LPF about 3 years ago about 1 Meg CTS Pots and their use with the Gibson 500T. People stretched the thread into how to reduce the Ohm readout of the 1 Meg Pot without switching it, altogether, since most don't like switching pots and re-soldering all the components (assuming you were no longer using the 500T, which likes a 1 Meg Pot). The easy fix was to wire a resister across the input and output of the Vol. Pot. Not only did it decrease the Ohm readout by whatever value your wired, but it also changed the taper to a more linear progression, which some liked. My co-worker, who majored in engineering back in the day, indicated that a Potentiometer is nothing more than a variable Resistor and that you can make all sorts of changes to it with simple mods like these. Not only is it great but, it costs all of about 1 dollar (the price of the resistor).

2. I do not like the Fralin Blender Pot and it will be coming out when I swap my Strat pups. I suppose I'm not used to this type of feature on a Strat, so I don't have much use for it. Plus, I would like to have the other Tone control for my bridge pickup. It was a worth a shot since it was inexpensive, but I'm just not a fan. You are right, tho - some people swear by it.
        Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

Lee,

When it comes to detailed reviews, you are defintiely becoming THE MAN! Very nice job. The folks that make the Darkbursts, are they the ones that do the Crossroads set? If so, have you had any experience with them?

Thanks,

Jeff
          "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Yes, I am thinking of going to WCR pickups as well. Apparently the best around town! I hear the Shredder and Goodwwods are the best of his bunch and hopefully will be ordering those this spring!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrec
              Lee,

When it comes to detailed reviews, you are defintiely becoming THE MAN! Very nice job. The folks that make the Darkbursts, are they the ones that do the Crossroads set? If so, have you had any experience with them?

Thanks,

Jeff
              Thank you! I appreciate it and and am doing my best to intelligently share my experiences.

To answer your question, the Darkbursts are from Jim Wagner. His website is below:

The Darkbursts are not up on his site yet, but they are available. I know Jim very well and have been talking with him since he released the Fillmores nearly 3 years ago. He is a very nice man and loves winding - if you call him, tell him I said hello. He has all sorts of Humbuckers and produces a great product. I have experience with all of the Wagner pups having played them through Jimmy Murray's various Les Pauls at his jams in Greensboro, but I've only owned and installed the Darkburst set. I have an unused Goodwood neck, too, that I'll probably send back to Jim for something else.

Crossroads: PAF-esque at 7.5-8.2K
              Darkbursts: overwound PAFs at 8.3-8.8K
              Goodwoods: even more overwound PAF 8.3K - 9.7K
              Fillmores: higher output pups at 12.0K - 15.0K
              *Don't let the output full you. They sound like they are in the low 8.0's. It is kind of like a JB...reads high, but is not a distortion pickup.

People have really liked his Crossroads set and the Goodwood set. The Fillmores get lots of discussion as being a well-rounded rock pickup - I have to agree. The Darkbursts are just another variation from Jim and I have to agree that they sound really good - I wanted a clearer, hotter neck pickup and I found the perfect match for my R8. I may try the Goodwood bridge since it has a smidge more mids and bit more Henries...who knows! The brightness of the Darkburst bridge doesn't bug me too much, but I'd love to have a more balanced set with all the controls on 10.

Comment

What do you think would be the best valued resistor to simulate backing the tone down to 7 or 8, even though the tone control is full-up? I really should start experimenting with your idea, since it may be a cheap/easy solution to eliminating icey highs on some guitars.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Lee,

Thanks once more. When we have the next LI Jam, you'll have to join us.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrec
                    Lee,

Thanks once more. When we have the next LI Jam, you'll have to join us.

Jeff
                    I'll definitely come out to LI the next time your are jamming! Just let me know when!

Lee M.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee_M.
                      I'll definitely come out to LI the next time your are jamming! Just let me know when!

Lee M.

Will do

Comment

Working...
                      X