Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with 335 pickups

Originally posted by philthis View Post
    have you thought of going with a p90? they make them in alnico 5 for a bigger bottom end at low volume or alnico 2 for sweet highs and more balance at high volume. They make them in humbucker size so you can slip them in. Im dealing with a duel humbucker strat. I too want the clean tones but find most humbuckers muddy in the neck especially at high volume. with a single speaker its better but it gets worse with more speakers because it adds bass. A friend suggested a fat cat in the neck. Ime gunna try it. I like to play with a 2x12 cab. I practice in my basement but play loud out. Im hoping the fatcat in the neck with the A2 mag with be the answer. It will not have as much bass at low volume as an A5 mag so that is the trade off. I will have to eq my amp and adjust the resonance control at low practice volume.
    Good input, you're right there's a volume impact. I usually do the Jazz stuff at low to moderate output using middy tweed amps, and for that purpose A5 is great. But when playing loud and clean, A2 may be the better option. I do play a hollowbody with P-90s (A5), but my 335 shall be the jack of all trades. I also have a 2x12 cab, but I think it sounds best with my Strat. Me too like a single speaker with buckers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      The Antiquity I suggested has A2 mags. I don't get too hung up on magnets, though, as they don't define every single thing about the sound. They are clean and clear and wide open, so they are the perfect choice in a 335, especially if your style depends on touch sensitivity.
      Thanks, I hear you

I've got to ask; -Are you going for a somewhat hollow sound that you think complement the 335? That's not what I have in mind. It's a pain to replace pickups and electronics in a 335, therefore I like to do the research before I go.

Humbucker magnets may not define everything, but they do define a lot. The coils and the pairing of coils (balanced or unbalanced) obviously also play a part as well as the resulting output. Yes, touch sensitivity is important, but also in this regard there are several parameters in play, like the frequency response of the pickup, the amp and amp settings etc. I suppose one important contributor to touch sensitivity in general would be magnet strength.

I'm trying to achieve some versatility here and have the neck set up for classic Jazz and the bridge for saturated lead. I don't know if I can get there while maintaining useful in-between tones, but it's worth a try...

On a side note: As far as I know, most original 335s from '59 and throughout the '60s got A5 magnets in both positions and the pickups often got unbalanced coils. Many legendary Jazz guitars tones was produced with P-90 pickups and most of them got A5 magnets.

Comment

I don't know if you can put 'the PAF sound' on magnet type alone...it really is a combination of factors for the end result. I actually thing lower power + unpotted has more to do with the sound and 'feel' than magnet type. Antiquities are snappy and open, and touch sensitive because they are unpotted.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My heritage 335 has a Seth set. I could not be happier!

B
          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Dr. B - long time no see! Hard to hate on Seth's in a 335, especially if it is good wood.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

If I ever get something like a 335, I think that I would put in something with A4's, like the SNS set. Or a 59 set with A4 neck and UOA5 bridge.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a set of Seths in my Dot. They are covering the clean Jazz to Rock spectrum for me.

If I wanted a little more output from the bridge, I would try a '59 or maybe even a WLH in there.
                I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Working...
                X