Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5-way Import Switch HH Wiring / Switching Options

Originally posted by BigFeet25 View Post
    Kingswebe this is fantastic and I am truly grateful for the hours of your time spent on this. I will go with this 2V approach and see how I get on. I will get my pickguard wired up and as soon as the body has been finished I will give it a go. I'll provide some feedback when I've done this. Many thanks!

I was happy to do it - your request happened to coincide with my recent explorations into what was possibile for coilsplits with an inherently limiting 2 pole 5 way switch. It is a credit to Seymour Duncan that the configuration they came up with in that diagram you found seems to offer the most flexiblity, as a baseline for tweaking a bit further.

For the future, a superswitch with 4 poles is really the way to go. You can get more options, place them where you want. And have 2 volume controls without restrictions. Here is an example frlm the Deaf Eddie website's Wiring Diagram page:

Click image for larger version

Name:	5tt-2v-2pp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	5818425

Back to the Two Volume diagram I came up with, if the lack of volume control on the Neck Singlecoil ends up bugging you over time, you can add a volume control for it by wiring it between the Neck pickup's Finish wire pair and where that pair connects to the pickup selector switch. That add-on volume pot can be a 4th standalone pot, *or* you can replace your current Neck volume pot with a Dual Concentric pot. A dual concentric pot has two independently functioning pots in one physical footprint. Head's up, its height is a little taller because of this. See pic below.

Name:	20200307_101406.jpg
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	5818426

Also be aware that a "Dual Gang" pot is a different animal and not what you want for this scenario. A dual gang pot has 2 pots but only 1 common shaft, which allows you to control two pots simultaneously with the same knob.
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-07-2020, 10:18 AM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Kingswebe this is fantastic and I am truly grateful for the hours of your time spent on this. I will go with this 2V approach and see how I get on. I will get my pickguard wired up and as soon as the body has been finished I will give it a go. I'll provide some feedback when I've done this. Many thanks!
      One last question for you -since starting this thread, i have gotten adept at using that wiring digram creator software, so if you want/need, i could create a version of the latest Two Volumes diagram that is specific to your 8 lugs-in-a-row switch. Just let me know.
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Hi Kingswebe - if you could do a final diagram with your clever software that would be brilliant. Thanks again for your support. I note what you wrote about the volume pot options too!

Comment

Hi Kingswebe - if you could do a final diagram with your clever software that would be brilliant. Thanks again for your support. I note what you wrote about the volume pot options too!
          Ok, will do an updated drawing later today.

I had an idea for a 3rd option for an "add-on" volume control for the Neck Singlecoil. At first I thought a traditional 2 pole push-pull might suffice to give you the ability to choose on-the-fly whether to control the Neck humbucker volume level or the Neck singlecoil volume level, but after doing some sketching, it lacks enough poles. However, Fender makes a 4 pole S1 push-push switch/pot that would support this. So ths would replace the current Neck volume pot. ** However, everything we have done up to now was on the basis of not using any kind of additional switches. But once we introduce a switch, there would actually be more benefit to using that switch to control the coilsplit on-off functionality vs continuing with the limited 2 pole 5 way switch to do that for us..

Like this as just one example:

Switch "Off":

Position 1: Bridge HB
          Position 2: Bridge HB + Neck HB in parallel
          Position 3: Neck HB

Switch "On":

Position 1: Bridge singlecoil (SC)
          Position 2: Bridge SC + Neck SC in parallel
          Position 3: Neck SC

Note that the above simple scenario *could* alternatively be supported by a traditional 2 pole push-pull pot /toggle switch.

Depending on personal preferenxes, there could be one slight downside to using the switch for the coilsplit functionality, in that you inherently have to use the switch more frequently to get what you want as you switch between the different pickup selector switch positions vs the 2 pole 5 way and the switch there being used only as-needed/desired to control the Neck singlecoil volume level control. Interesting stuff, huh? Haha
          Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-07-2020, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Hi Kingswebe - thanks for the detail re push-pulls and Fender S1 which I may look at further down the line. At this point I'd like to use the hardware I have to hand so these options will be in a possible future. Thanks again!

Comment

Hi Kingswebe - thanks for the detail re push-pulls and Fender S1 which I may look at further down the line. At this point I'd like to use the hardware I have to hand so these options will be in a possible future. Thanks again!
              ok, here ya go!

Name:	pic_2HB_2V_1T_2pole5waySWimp_2Coilsplits_HBsInParallel_SLnt_NeckIsPos1.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	5818429

Comment

Excellent! Thanks very much for this and all your other help,and support!
                I'll come back to you with my results soon.

Comment

Excellent! Thanks very much for this and all your other help,and support!
                  I'll come back to you with my results soon.
                  Great, I would appreciate hearing back.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                    Artie,

The software is DIY Layout Creator. It is free. It is Java based and open source. You don't even have to install it - you download a zip of its contents, extract the contents to a folder of your choosing in your computer, and then just run the executable. No impact to your computer's registry.
                    One of my friends from another guitar wiring group recommended it.

Artie, what are you using for diagram software?
                    Cool. I'll check that out. I use NeoPaint, from www.neosoftware.com. It's a smaller, lessor known company, but they were one of the first companies to make their program for DOS. I've been using them for that long. (Early 1990's.) One of the cool things about NeoPaint is the ability to do "stamps." In other words, once you draw a pickup, or pot, or switch, you can just stamp it anywhere in a drawing, without having to redraw it every time. But it isn't free. Not real expensive at $34. Btw, I see they've renamed it to Pixel NEO.

Comment

Working...
                    X