Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best tight pickup for down-tuned metal? please help

hey all,

I have an ibanez rg that currently has a jb in the bridge. I am not happy with the jb for fast palm muted type runs and riffs as the bass is just to loose.

I have also tried an invader and although I prefer it for metal rythm over the jb it was still a bit to loose.

I tune down to B standard.

Both pickups sound great when I'm playing on the 'A' string which is actually an 'E' string but when I go down to the 'B' string it just loses all it's chunk and definition.

What should I try? a dimebucker maybe?

thanks

james
    Last edited by jamesboyd; 04-15-2004, 05:42 AM.

Re: best tight pickup for down-tuned metal? please help

I'm not sure that the pickups are your problem and your loose bottom end could be caused by your amp, the scale lenght of your guitar and the string guage that you are using.

A Dime or a Duncan distortion may tighten things up a bit but you may have other things to consider as a cure depending on your rig and set-up.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Duncan Custom or the Dimebucker rock my world for anything lower than d
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I agree with Robert S. I used to use JBs (before switching to Customs) and they were never lose. Then again, I didn't tune lower than C with them. The first place I'd look for a tighter sound would be string gauge. Playing in A or B, if you're not using 12s or 13s your strings are far too light for that tuning. I have 11s on my guitars and I won't tune any lower than C# with them.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Mabe a full shred would do you well.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

d tuning or lower = bad with my dimarzio FREDb - too flubby for attack/chug/thrash sounds (beware of low output pups for downtunings)

Comment

Maybe u should try the Dimarzio D Sonic.

Comment

Go with a heavier string gauge. I used to detune a lot, and the sound was crap. This is why I use 7-string guitars now - you play the low stuff on heavier strings (and retain the ability to play high notes for solos).

You can tune down to a baritone-style tuning if you want, without changing string gauge, but it won't sound as good as a baritone/7-string/standard guitar with heavier strings.

As Robert said, string gauge and scale length could be the problem here. Amps can be problem too - I use a Warp 7 because heavily detuned stuff is what it's designed for.

If you intend to keep a guitar tuned low, it's worth having it set up for the heavier strings. If you're tuning down to A or B, then it may be worth using pickups that tighten up the bottom end a bit, but you should consider the other points first, I personally think they will be the controlling factors in your situation.

EDIT: Personally, I find a 'normal' E string tuned down to A or B unplayably loose (in terms of string tension) - get heavier strings! Maybe it's just me, but fast palm-muting etc is really hard with loose strings
                Last edited by southadc; 04-16-2004, 05:47 PM.

Comment

If after increasing your string guage you still aren't satisfied, go for the Custom, I love it playing Drop D tuned flat. Although mine is the patent violating "Air" version. I use 10-46's BTW. I'd recommend like 12-52's at least for what your doing.
                  ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

I have a guitar that I leave tuned to C# or D and it has Full Shred pickups in it. I think the Full Shred sounds much better at D than at E. I have found the Full Shred to be a great pickup for vicious riffing but when you play fast palm muted stuff the resonant peak of the pickup is to high and sounds weird. Good for Alice in Chains bad for Metallica.

I also have another guitar thats tuned to D# and the Dimarzio Evolution is great. The Evolution has a lower resonant peak that sounds good with fast palm muted rhythms and it really cuts through when soloing. Although I have had to re-pott all three Evolutions I have installed to clean up/focus their sound. Otherwise they have a nasty warble in the lower midrange.

Snowdog

Comment

Working...
                    X